Top Pulmonary Hospital Low Cost Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital & Trauma Center CA Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital & Trauma Center located in 1001 POTRERO AVENUE - San Francisco, CA. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
1001 POTRERO AVENUE
City
SAN FRANCISCO
State
CA
ZIP Code
County
SAN FRANCISCO
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Government - Local
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
54 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
5%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
78 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
508 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
4.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
62%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
6%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
13.9%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
10.5%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
14.3%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
7.5%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
17.5%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
2.6%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
Significantly less than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly less than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Significantly lesser than the National Average
P

Petesede

My girlfriend took a pretty bad fall the other night and was totally trying to tough it out, like she was too strong to go to the ER. But the next day I noticed she was having trouble breathing and winced when I touched her ribcage. We rushed to Zuckerburg’s ER and thank goodness we came in because she had broken a few ribs and had a collapsed lung. If we had come in any later, she may not have survived it. Zuckerburg did a good job taking care of my little ladybird, who is currently still in the ER, and is going to have to have surgery done tomorrow morning. The pre-surgery prep has all been done and she is waiting for surgery tomorrow. I am hopeful that the surgeon will do an excellent job after he briefed me about what exactly was going to happen. Very thankful.

A

Ana Beau

Things have changed. I remember this hospital back in the early 2000s and how it was still so new, people were all still so unaware of how the services would be (and they were a little rusty). But cut to almost 20 years later and they are doing really well- paying good attention to the patients, treating them on time and there are so many more rooms than I remember (clearly they expanded).

M

MzMichaele

Unless you are having some serious trauma issues or are homeless I would not recommend coming to zuckerburg- trust me, there are much better hospitals out there.
Good god, where do I even start? First of all, I have heard many good things about the trauma center here (in fact, one of my friends had to be taken in just last year). I heard her treatment was very successful. Also, the waiting areas are loaded with homeless people. Like, literally, I doubt they are patients. One man was sleeping on the couch when I got there, and 5 hours later as I was leaving, I noticed he was sleeping in the exact same location. Not the best place for endorsing sanitation either. You will find patients roaming about, coughing and sneezing as they go without covering their mouths- it’s pretty gross. For a neat freak and germophobe like me, it was a straight up nightmare.

But what I absolutely cannot stand is how much they make you wait. For even the smallest thing like having a small cut stitched up they will make you wait for 4 hours. I literally told them that I didn’t have the material at home if they could just give me a first aid kit I could stitch myself up. But they said that I had to wait my turn patiently. You can’t expect someone to just sit around and do nothing for 4 hours late at night- that’s just madness. When my turn finally arrived they didn’t even stitch it up properly and charged me a fortune. So basically, what I could’ve done for free cost me a bunch and they didn’t even do a good job? Talk about a waste of money, time, and energy.

rxuser

rxuser

The ER is actually quite nice. 5 years ago I came with my dad here when he had signs of a stroke, and back then it was a freak show- people, patients, relatives, doctors, nurses were pouring in and out of rooms like it was an epidemic. But this time around, I had to be seen for my vomiting issue, and they actually have private rooms for all ER patients. Even though it is not as crowded early in the morning (3-4 am), there is never a shortage of doctors and nurses. They are always there, helping you and taking your vitals. They are nice, knowledgeable, and answer all your questions politely. Nice bed side manners also, no one was hogging up my personal space. Liked it here.

Btalivny

Btalivny

I am just so mad right now, I’m not even sure how to contain it. There are just some times when you do NOT expect a hospital to treat you a certain way, but they surprise you so much. I’ve been to Zuckerburg General a few times in the past and all times it was to see a general physician (to restock my migraine medication). But this time around my friend had come from Michigan to visit me and I had to rush her to the ER because she accidentally fell from the stairs and it looked like her leg was broken.

As soon as we pulled up at Zuckerburg, first of all, the security was so rude- they asked me not to park in front of the hospital and that I’d have to park in the parking lot. I told them that my friend’s leg was broken, but he said, “nice try.” To this, I should’ve guessed that the service at the Er would be just as shitty, and in fact, my friend even said we should probably try someplace else, but her leg was looking worse by the minute, so I let it go. She hopped on her good foot and took my support to get her to the entrance of the ER.

Once there, a nurse saw her limping and sent out for a wheelchair. She asked what happened and inspected the leg, checking for obvious signs of a broken leg. I explained what happened and she asked my friend to rate her pain from 1 to 10. When Sharon said 8, the nurse looked at her like she cussed at her or something and half-smiled. She asked us to wait and disappeared into the crowd of the hospital. We waited in the ER waiting room for literally 2 hours. Sharon was in so much pain by then that she was weeping softly.

I asked the nurses and the receptionist what I could go get her to stop the pain, any kind of pain killers, but they said they couldn’t prescribe anything until they looked at the leg. I pointed at Sharon, who was full on crying now, and they didn’t seem to care. All they kept saying was that everyone in the ER is going through pain, not just Sharon. So I should stop bothering myself (and them, of course) and just wait my turn. Just. Shocked. No other words, literally.

After finally meeting with the doctor, he took some X-rays and confirmed it was in fact, broken. Cannot see myself ever going back to this hospital, even though I’ve had some good memories here. Crazy how one bad experience can ruin the entire experience for you. But I definitely do not recommend the ER for Zuckerburg- wouldn’t wish that kind of agony on my worst enemy.

medically

medically

No one likes hospitals, but if I were to narrow down my favorites, Zuckerburg would be in the top 5. Last month, my husband was in a horrible car crash and was rushed to the ER at Zuckerburg. Everyone was so nice and understanding of my situation and took excellent care of my hubby. He is now perfectly fine and undergoing physical therapy.