what is metronidazole used for

L

lou

I visited my Ob/Gyn for vaginal itching that refused to die down. He gave me a script for metronidazole. It was very effective, and my itching subsided. However, some of my friends say that this is not a very effective drug and the itching would soon come back.

Not that I believe them entirely, but I would like to know if this is possible. I would also like to know the uses for metronidazole. Does it help in treating sexually transmitted diseases?

In case it helps, I was given 500 mg; to be more precise four tablets in a dose.

S

sarah

Metronidazole is a generic form of Flagyl. It is an antibiotic that is used for treating various infections. Metronidazole belongs to a class of antibiotics called nitroimidazoles. The drug works by inhibiting the growth of protozoa and bacteria. Mind you, this antibiotic treats only protozoal and bacterial infections and won’t work on viral infections such as flu or the common cold.

Metronidazole is quite effective in treating infections of the skin, stomach, vagina, joints, or even the respiratory tract. Doctors sometimes prescribe this drug in combination with other medicines for treating certain types of stomach ulcers.

Hope this answers your question.

S

sarah

Oops!!! Forgot to answer the second part. To answer your question about whether it would return, then yes, it can return if it is not taken in prescribed doses.

S

shirley

I think you were diagnosed with vaginal trichomoniasis which is often characterized by malodorous and diffuse yellow-green discharge and is often accompanied by vulvar irritation. And oral metronidazole is the best medicine for it. However, for it to be effective, one has to take it for five to seven days in the prescribed dose. If taken as per advice, I do not see any chance of trichomoniasis recurring.

F

Fedora

This might be a bit late in the day, but still my two cents.

Four tablets in a dose seem to be a sort of quick-fix and can result in you feeling very nauseous and having a metallic taste in your mouth. In case it recurs, and you feel that you overdosed, please tell your doctor about it and he would reduce the dose.

E

exp

I do not think that metronidazole can help in treating the "actual" sexually transmitted diseases such as syphilis, Chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc. I think the confusion arises when one says it can treat trichomoniasis. Trich can be sexually transmitted, but it is not so every time. Also, many doctors prescribe oral metronidazole and not topical metronidazole for treating these types of diseases.

Hope it helps.