What is amoxicillin used for

BigCat

BigCat

Friends, I was running a temperature and prescribed amoxicillin by my GP. I know this is an antibiotic but do we use it for treating fever. On second thoughts, I will broaden my question - What type of infections does amoxicillin treat and why do GP prescribe it more than say penicillin, Tetracycline or Erythromycin?

P

pacman

I hope you have recovered from your fever.

To answer your question, amoxicillin is a penicillin-based antibiotic. It is used for treating bacterial infections of lungs (upper and lower respiratory tracts), ear infections, sinus, soft tissue and also skin infections. Many doctors also prescribe it for genitourinary infections such as bladder infections, stomach ulcers, and gonorrhea among others.

Amoxicillin treats a patient by interfering with the bacteria’s ability to form cell walls. These cell walls are vital for bacteria to survive. The cell walls help in keeping away unwanted substances from entering in while at the same time stopping the contents from leaking. Amoxicillin damages the bonds which hold the cell walls together. This results in the development of holes in the cells which allows medicines to get in and destroy the bacteria.

Your GP must have considered many reasons before choosing amoxicillin for you. One of the main reasons might be broader anti-bacterial actions that amoxicillin can perform compared to penicillin. It is also soft on the stomach when compared to Erythromycin. Also, amoxicillin does not stain teeth like Tetracycline.

H

Howard

Amoxicillin comes from the penicillin family. It is used for treating various bacterial infections like pneumonia, ear infections, salmonella or E. Coli or bladder infections. Few doctors also prescribe amoxicillin in combination with other drugs for treating the infection. Biaxin is one which comes to my mind.

gareth09

gareth09

Long story short, amoxicillin is an antibiotic which treats bacterial infections. Here is a small list of infections that can be treated by amoxicillin:
  • Strep throat
  • Bacterial pneumonia
  • Peptic ulcer caused by Helicobacter Pylori
  • Skin infection caused by E. Coli and Streptococcus
  • Middle ear infections caused by streptococcus
  • Severe sinusitis due to Haemophilus Influenzae and Streptococcus pneumoniae
  • Throat infection caused by Staphylococcus
  • Skin infection
  • Chronic bronchitis
  • Stomach lining inflammation
  • Tonsils infection caused by Haemophilus Influenzae or Staphylococcus bacteria
  • Acute nasal infection
  • Duodenal ulcer
  • Genitourinary infection due to Enterococcus, E. coli or Proteus
  • Lyme disease
  • Typhoid Fever
  • Bacterial infection of the heart valve
  • Infections caused due to anthrax
  • Pediatric fevers occurring without a source

E

ErectileReptile

As everybody has pointed out, amoxicillin is an antibiotic prescribed to treat bacterial infections. However, you should not take it without a prescription as it is known to cause some severe side effects.

H

Heisenberg

Amoxicillin belongs to the penicillin family. It is milder when compared to other penicillin drugs like penicillin, Tetracycline, and Erythromycin. Doctors prescribe it to those who are unable to tolerate these drugs.

That said, people might still develop tolerance when on amoxicillin. I know many friends who end up doing two to three rounds of amoxicillin to treat relatively milder infections. I also have friends who develop a stuffy feeling or severe headaches when on this drug. So do tell your doctor if the medicine does not work for you or you feel weird on this drug.

Will

Will

I had developed a mild bacterial infection and was prescribed amoxicillin. But it did not improve me. I would take a few pills; my infections would go. I would stop the drug and bingo the infections comes right back. I was later told that I had to complete the course even if the infection is resolved as leaving the course midway can result in more severe infection. A lesson well learned.