Top Ortho Hospital High Cost Wellspan Ephrata Community Hospital (Ephrata, PA) Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Wellspan Ephrata Community Hospital located in 169 MARTIN AVENUE - Ephrata, PA. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
169 MARTIN AVENUE
City
EPHRATA
State
PA
ZIP Code
County
LANCASTER
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Other
Emergency Department Volume
medium
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
36 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
1%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
64 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
337 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
68%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
7%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
13%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
12.4%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
14%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
8.3%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
15.9%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
1.9%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Significantly better than the National Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
V

Vandarus

I had a terrible experience at this joke of a hospital. I had gone to Wellspan Ephrata Hospital ER on Wednesday afternoon January 23rd, 2019, after having a very bad fall and landing awkwardly on my bottom and subsequently slipping and hitting my head.

The hospital has two major issues. The first one….utterly incompetent and uncouth nurses and second – a complete lack of communication between the staff members and between staff and patients.

My story goes like this: After the fall, my boyfriend takes me to the nearest hospital, which unfortunately was this hospital. We are checked in, and I was triaged and admitted for undergoing some tests. As I was getting admitted, I asked if I could retain my bra and underpants and the nurse told, “It is okay. You can go ahead.” The nurse goes, and after some time another person comes to draw blood. She nearly flips out when she sees me wearing underpants and bra and then proceeds to cut it despite my pleadings against the contrary. Her answer after cutting the clothes was that nobody told her that “I” was wearing bra and underpants. Grrrr….what the f#$k was then I shouting out to her. Utter lack of communication between the staff…

She proceeded to draw blood. This useless lady does not even know how to locate a vein...she just poked on my left hand three to four times leaving me badly bruised. By sheer luck, she was able to draw some blood from the right hand in just one poke. The same thing got repeated when she was trying to set up an IV later. My arms were sore for nearly a week due to it. Should add, she was unkempt and smelled horrible.

Finally, when things were set, I was taken for imaging and later brought back to the room. Nobody came to us for telling the results. We got to know that things were all clear when the doctor came late in the night and was surprised to see us still in the hospital. She said she had informed the nurse to discharge me and there was nothing to worry about.

Thanks to the lovely doctor, we were at last able to come out of this joke of a hospital. I would advise everyone to avoid this hospital, even if it is the last hospital on planet Earth.

H

heirloom

My father had to be rushed to the ER as he had a very bad fall and complained of severe back pain. Since he is over 80 years and suffering from osteoporosis, we did not want to take a risk. We got him to the ER and requested the aide to get us a wheelchair, which she promptly got. That was it…after that we did not see anybody…nobody came to inquire about us and have a look at our father. Not even the intake nurse. Neither a nurse nor a doctor came to check out my father. We waited patiently for nearly four hours, but with my father having increasing pain, we decided to go to another ER. Complete lack of communication between the hospital and patients. And no, the hospital was not full of patients; it was deserted. I think they would do us a world of good if they shut it down.

cedric

cedric

My wife and I were admitted to Ephrata ER after getting injured in an accident. We were asked to stay overnight for observation. Our care was under excellent hands, and the entire staff whom we interacted with were very professional and warm and caring. I do not remember the names but a special thanks to all. All of them genuinely seemed concerned about us and went all the way to make us feel comfortable.

That being said, we were glad that we escaped with only minor scrapes and were glad to be discharged home!

P

phillymon

I was admitted to this hospital under the care of Dr. Nwosu, who is a joke. I am not sure how the person became a doctor. That idiot prescribed me the same medications that I was taking, just reduced the doses, doses which were reached after a lot of trial and error. I did not see the doctor reading my chart, and was very grumpy when I told about the medication. That idiot went on to judge me and talked as if I was worthless and was lucky that I came under this person's care…..would never step my foot in at this hospital.

comer

comer

We had delivered our child here. The entire staff, including the medical team as well as housekeeping staff, were nice and friendly! The staff seemed very knowledgeable and helped us understand everything. They even got the midwife in so that she could answer any questions that we may have. My wife's doctor called me, with her permission of course, and very patiently explained everything. My wife did not have a normal delivery…there was some complications which made them explain us everything. I felt these guys went out of their way to keep us in the loop. We had a premie, and my wife spent nearly a month in the hospital. We never faced any issues with this hospital. Even when we came for regular checks, the staff was cordial and were genuinely delighted to see the progress of our son. Every single person was emphatic, supportive, and caring. Do not have enough words to express our gratitude to this wonderful team. Thank you so much!!!

elektra

elektra

While traveling to NY, my husband suddenly developed severe left-sided chest pain. Called 911 and we were asked to go to the nearest hospital about 1000 meters away. It was Wellspan Ephrata Community Hospital. From the moment we stepped into the hospital till the discharge, everybody treated us exceptionally well. When we wheeled in my husband, he was immediately attended to and triaged and taken in for further treatment. Though we interacted with many people, two of them stand out in my mind. Nurse Hannah and Dr. Mike. Both were awesome, incredibly personable while being super thorough, something which is missing in many ERs. Thanks to their wonderful care, my husband was discharged after a short stay at the hospital. We hope all the ERs in the country are filled with such wonderful ER doctors and nurses. Hannah and Dr. Mike, if you are reading this, then a big THANK YOU to both!!! You would always be in our prayer. :):):):)

ANaBel

ANaBel

I was in this hospital for a short stay after undergoing surgery. All the nurses and aides were wonderful and nice. They treated me well during my stay. One person, however, stood out. She was Laura, my favorite nurse. She ensured that I never felt lonely (my family members were stuck in a different place and could not come for surgery, and I was new to the town). She was always cheery, very bright and upbeat. She had a big smile on her face. She really loved her job and was very attentive to me. She made sure that I was comfortable. Within the three days of my stay, we became very close, and she also helped me with the discharge. You would always be in my prayers, Laura.

anGeLIcA

anGeLIcA

Guys, find some sensible people for your billing department. The people who are currently handling it are highly incompetent. After my discharge, I was told that I had paid excess money and I would be refunded. They paid me the refund in check form. The only problem – these guys sent it to a wrong address. The check was put in an envelope, and the address was handwritten, and I never received the check. When I inquired, they initially tried to pass the buck to me, but I had all the records, and finally, they agreed it was their mistake, and they would send one more check or at least make the payment to my account.

It has been nearly six weeks now, and these guys still are processing my request. This is turning out to be ridiculous. My care was exceptional, but this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth.