PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for University Of Pennsylvania Hospital located in 3400 Spruce St - Philadelphia, PA. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
3400 Spruce St
City
PHILADELPHIA
State
PA
ZIP Code
County
PHILADELPHIA
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
66 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
5%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
78 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
600 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
5.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
5.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
72%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
4%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
12.8%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
9.8%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
2.9%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
14.2%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
8.6%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
13.1%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Significantly better than the National Rate
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Abdominal Hysterectomy
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Not Available
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
A

Audriana

I feel that medical service at UPH is either extremely good, or extremely poor. They have some specific pros and cons. For example I remember having to go to the emergency room twice. The first time it was over 4.5 hours of waiting in the dingy waiting area, and that too I had a risk of infection, yet they asked me to wait with everyone else in a public area. Also it was flu season at that time. This was rather inconsiderate of them, and sometimes if you tell them, they will move you to a private area.

So I did, and they were saying things like they had no rooms, everything was full, etc. So I didn’t even bother. But the second time I came here, it was by the EMT as I had passed out and thankfully didn’t have to wait around. Next: the food. I am not sure I’ve tasted food like this before. It tastes like metal and plastic.

My brother told me that the cafeteria food is also horrible and this is a shame, considering we are patients. Edible, though. So I didn’t make a formal complaint. But more than that, they do not follow a strict timetable when it comes to giving patients food. I remember once I had supper at 6 pm and the next day, I got dinner at 9 pm. Like, what? Either way, the care I received in the ICU was unmatchable. Especially the nurses (Nurse Diaz in particular) was so warm and made sure I got everything I needed. Once when I told her I had a headache, she even sat up with me and sang soft songs to me.

A

amara

I owe my life to the doctors of UPH- the backbone of this medical institution. Without them, my rare disease would’ve killed me years ago. You are underappreciated, and I wish people saw you guys for the superstars that you are. Rock on.

Goldfish

Goldfish

The best part about UPH? I felt like I would actually survive my rare cancerous disease. I’d been to four hospitals and two other medical institutions, but no one took on my case. They kept referring me to other doctors and I kept bouncing about from place to place, tired out of my mind and I’d lost all hope.
Thankfully, Dr. Samimi took me on and was the kindest, gentlest soul I’d ever met in my life. I am so thankful to this organization, and I referred her and all the other doctors here to all my close friends and family. Truly appreciate everything you’ve done for me. Regards.

S

Samra

The ER is an absolute joke. Not to offend anyone by this, but the team of nurses and other medical staff that was assigned to me were very rude and honestly, useless. The weirdest part was that every time my sister or brother asked them a question about my situation, they seemed least interested and kept beating around the bush. Very poor communication skills- this was what we figured until we later heard them sitting around and bad mouthing this doctor from OB/GYN.

And of course, they are always excited when it comes to taking breaks or ordering food. Disgusting. There is like no organization when it comes to family members of the patient coordinating with the medical staff. What’s even worse is how some of them treated my family. Not just the nurses, even one of the doctors and his friend surgeon. They were both very impolite, student doctors I reckon. Horrible experience, my dad felt extremely hurt by the way they laughed at something he said seriously.

In general, don’t expect any sort of understanding or compassion from these people, they are monsters. They ask the family members to go sit at the waiting area which is extremely cold. The only nice staff over there is the janitor who made friends with my brother and said that the doctors here are a little uptight about everything. I feel that the staff just wants you to get out of the hospital as quick as you can, unless of course you have some really fancy medical insurance policy. For those of us without insurance, don’t even think about an ounce of sympathy.

And while I respect the triage system, I think that the way this hospital maintains their system is just unfair. A simple request to the medical team of UPH, please understand that as patients, we could not feel more frustrated by the way you treat us, especially at the emergency room where we flood in because of, hello, emergencies?! If I had the opportunity to go to another hospital, I would grab it, unfortunately I don’t. And if I had a proper platform where I could enlist all the places where you could improve upon, I would write them out neatly.

C

COCO

My sister had been to the ER here twice, so she said it was a good medical practice. But a word of advice, don’t even think about getting plastic surgery done here. They are very nice in the beginning when you show interest in their practice and literally convince you that there’s no one like them. They’re right, in a sense. They’re the worst, and there’s no one like them. If there are any complications in the future… they won’t do anything. So annoying.