PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for University Hospital located in 150 BERGEN ST - Newark, NJ. Contains reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
150 BERGEN ST
City
NEWARK
State
NJ
ZIP Code
County
ESSEX
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Government - State
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
8%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
467 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
2.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
50%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
17%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
12.7%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
9.2%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Somewhat better than National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
15.9%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
9.2%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
16.2%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections National Comparison
Hospital Acquired Central Line Blood Infection Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Charisma

Charisma

For a place like this, a hospital like this is important. It brings in the good technological equipment that aint nobody else seen before.. Trust me, we need it. Also the administrators in this hospital are divine.

G

gibran

Disappointed. Have to be checked in the hospital to do anything. Even go to cafeteria and grab a cup of coffee. Seems excessive. Don’t even talk about the cafeteria, the lines are crazy. I waited for 40 minutes for coffee and a sandwich at room temperature.
Oh and the funniest bit is how the visiting hours are crazy short. Like maybe 3-4 a day or at least that’s what the nurse said to me. My girlfriend was a patient here so when her friends came to visit her there was this crazy nurse who kept saying she needs rest, she needs rest.
Yes, she does but she could also have her loved ones come visit her, right ? Gosh. And they only allow two visitors at a time!! So three of my girlfriend’s friends came over to visit and they only allowed two inside.
The other one was sitting in the lobby waiting for them to finish so she could go inside. What kind of madness is this? Unimpressed with the way this hospital is run could be so much better.

K

koby

A nice hospital with people from diverse cultures working together in peace. It was almost like they’d hired the staff based on that principle but whatever, was a good sight to see. If I have a suggestion it would be to get a triage system in place because the wait to see the doctor is crazy long. Especially if it’s the ER then don’t even bother. Can take up to 4-5 hours just waiting. And then after the doctor asks for tests and stuff, another 4-5 hours of waiting. If this could be reduced, perfect hospital.

MACKLIN

MACKLIN

This was my first time at University hospital Newark and undoubtedly the last. Because of bad stomach aches I went to the er. But it was useless. Wait for 3 hours. Then doc assigns room. Again wait for 2-3 hours. Wait for medication. Another 3-4 hours. Spent all my time waiting.

Shaydo

Shaydo

After a dreadful car accident my brother was on the verge of dying. When he was in the ICU for the first few days the doctors said he was not showing any signs of progress. We had made up our minds and thought this was it.. but thanks to the University Hospital at Newark, we got our brother back, my parents got their son back and my nephew got his father back.

As tragic as it was we are so happy this happened because we came back together as a family, as a single unit. Can’t say one negative thing about this hospital .Whether it was the ICU or the trauma unit, everything was top notch. My brother was given the best treatment with the best amenities. As for me and my family, they made us feel welcome and comfortable every time we stepped into the hospital. But above that, they took the time to sit down with us and talk about the mundane things in life.. so that for a few minutes at least it wasn’t all sad and dull. Hope was not lost. They soothed our fears with encouraging words. And not just the doctors and nurses.

All the other staff members were very compassionate and those that knew about my brother, very sympathetic. But not like a disgusting sympathetic- the good kind. My brother was given a thorough evaluation before anything. I remember when they first brought him in, he was barely conscious but was shivering like a leaf. Even though that is the least of concerns for the doctors, one nurse slipped away and got him a blanket while the evaluation happened. That shows how caring they are towards the patients.

Efficient and sweet staff members working in the testing department. I was going through a depressing phase in ym life so I remember how the staff members had made it their responsibility to make me smile at least once an hour. It was the sweetest thing and they got a lot of staff members in on it.. so everywhere I went, people would smile at me and make me smile. It was the sweetest thing really. Update: my brother is now in physical therapy showing great signs of improvement. Can’t thank this hospital enough.

DouglasLynch

DouglasLynch

Brought my daughter to this university hospital and even though I don’t usually like educational hospitals this one was nice. Especially for my daughter because the young staff members were very sweet and kind to her.

zlatan

zlatan

Do not step foot into this hospital you will regret it, I know I do.
It is almost pitiful just how appalling the condition the hospital’s in.
I mean people come to hospitals to get treated and feel better. But how does that happen in a hospital that is so filthy.
And I went to the pediatric department with m y4 year old son so imagine my plight when I saw candy wrappers and a piece of tissue on the floor- where my son was sitting?
Disgusting doesn’t even cut it I tell you

kemar

kemar

Dropped off my mother-in-law in her room and came back the next day. There was the same debris and dirt on the floor from the previous day. Yuck…