PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for University Health System Hospital located in 4502 MEDICAL DR - San Antonio, TX. Contains reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
4502 MEDICAL DR
City
SAN ANTONIO
State
TX
ZIP Code
County
BEXAR
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Government - Hospital District or Authority
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
1%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
534 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
4.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
68%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
7%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
14%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
10.5%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
2.4%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
16.3%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
9.3%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
14.1%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Somewhat better than National Rate
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Abdominal Hysterectomy
Hospital Acquired Central Line Blood Infection Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
B

Barber_Cut1990

There’s nothing scarier than bringing your sick child to a new hospital. But somehow I didn’t’ feel that at this hospital with my 4 year old and even though she was screaming bloody murder in her sleep I knew the children’s trauma center had her back. And they really did- they were the sweetest souls with the most efficient approach to taking care of my baby just right. I wasn’t looking for any miracles but a steady, progressive result was what I expected and that’s just what I got. We are so grateful!

K

Karly

Two times I’ve been to this hospital. Each time with a different department and very different experiences. Infer what you will from this information I am only here to share.

Experience #1: May 18, 2018

Had a minor head injury so my husband suggested I go to the hospital. University health system is within a 5 mile radius so I decided to go there from work. Once here I wasn’t sure if I should go to Er or not because the injury wasn’t that bad but since it was a head injury nonetheless I decided to go the Er itself. Once there I realized that there would be a long queue, seeing that the entire waiting room was filled with people. I didn’t even have a place to sit. When I talked to the people at the front desk they arranged a stool for me to sit on and it didn’t have a back so it was kind of like I was squatting. Not very comfortable. I had to wait for more than an hour before a NP saw me – wouldn’t say it was worth the wait but whatever- she was a very intent listener which I appreciated in a physician. Then she asked me to get some tests done which meant another couple of hours of waiting. Finally they sent me home and said that the results would go to the doctor directly and then I’d be contacted. Basically I was contacted a week after they said my results would come in. That should’ve been my first sign that this is an incompetent dump.

Experience #2: Jan 3, 2019

You’d think for someone to have a pretty average experience the first time, I wouldn’t risk taking my daughter here too- you thought wrong. During an emergency situation where she fell and was knocked unconscious I had no other place to go. And I figured at least to kids they’d be nicer and not asked to wait, but NO. the pediatrics Er is a complete joke. They make you wait around for no good reason and I saw two kids who came in way after us go way before us and I was so angry that I started yelling at the receptionist. First of all they took my child away and said she’d be put under observation and that was it for the next 2.5 hours- they didn’t give me any updates or anything even though I asked particularly to keep me in the loop. Very inefficient people working in the pediatrics Er which is shocking, considering it’s children after all.. they’re the ones that need the most care . In the waiting room was where I swore to myself never to come back here again. My daughter recovered by the way…

venus3

venus3

Was hit by a car in front of this hospital and the weirdest thing- I didn’t even think I needed to go to the hospital until I nearly fainted right after. The owner of the car that hit me took me to the hospital and I was woozy throughout. But one thing I did not appreciate was how they acted like my “Accident” wasn’t serious enough to bring all the way to the ER too. How hard is it to just take a look at a patient and tell them they’re alright and prescribe the required medication? Do you have to be a smart ass each time?

S

super_magnificent

Overwhelemed by the care shown at this hospital first of all my husband was in a lot of pain for months and no one could tell what was wrong with him even very qualified doctors but finally we went to uni health system and finally my prayers got answered because here they ran all tests and deduced that he needed a liver transplat.

That is fine just that it’s important to know what exactly is the problem and the fact that every other hospital couldn’t tell what the issue was proves how serious the matter was- so we decided to go ahead with thel iver transplant after all so we needed to get him admitted to the hospital . we spent 3.5 months in this hospital with me running in and out like a mad dog every day balancing work and taking care of my husband.

But thankfully the transplant went well and he was showing good signs of recovery I don’t have anyone else to thank but the amazing doctors and surgeons at uni health system for 1.taking care of my husband in the best way possible especially on days when I couldn’t be there and 2.for speeding up the recovery process so that he could go back to work in time and 3.being the best damn hospital around our house . Will never forget

G

glowing1967

Oncology and ER departments at the university hospital are to die for (not literally) – when I had cancer years ago they took the best care of me. The doctors, nurses, technicians, housekeeping people, everyone was super nice. The ER docs are equally kind hearted just a little less chatty (lol) ,

SavannahMitchell1963

SavannahMitchell1963

The service here is crazy good. My father took a bad fall in Feb and we thought he was going to die. He was on the ventilator for the longest time and hanging onto dear life by a thread. But the urgent care facility at university health system hospital did everything they could to make him comfortable and show signs of progress. For the longest time there was nothing but then eventually he was off the ventilator- something my mother never expected would happen. The night we got this news we were all bawling like a bunch of toddlers and it was the happiest moment of our lives.