PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Swedish Covenant Hospital located in 5145 N CALIFORNIA AVE - Chicago, IL. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
5145 N CALIFORNIA AVE
City
CHICAGO
State
IL
ZIP Code
County
COOK
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Church
Emergency Department Volume
high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
42 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
4%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
59 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
277 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
62%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
9%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
11%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
9.3%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
2.3%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
13.1%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
6.8%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
13.9%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
3%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
L

Leni77

Sometimes the OBs at this practice are not given the credit they deserve, but I am the kind of person who likes to give credit where it is deserved. My OB, Dr. Hassan was the superhero in my delivery, which was complicated to begin with, but she handled it with such grace and elegance. I recommend her to everyone with zero hesitation. And remember to say thank you to your doctors.

S

ScottyKnows

This hospital reminds me of a hospital I had to get checked in to at Thailand a few years ago. No offense to anyone, but this hospital is the equivalent of an understaffed third world country hospital. Everyone who works here pretends like they are the reason the American healthcare facilities are booming- but in reality, theirs is anything else but. The receptionists NEVER take the calls, I myself have made in calls at least a few times last week.

Very unprofessional if you ask them about it- there was a short Indian girl who was sitting at the reception that day. When I asked her, very politely, if there was an issue with the phone, she said, there’s no issue, you probably didn’t dial the right number. I scoffed and let it be. No point arguing.

K

karen21

This review is based on my son received a few weeks ago from Swedish Covenant. I had been with him, all 5 days and while the healthcare at this practice is fairly decent, the billing and finance department is absolute garbage. It’s been 17 days since he got discharged from the hospital, yet just today we received the fourth letter suggesting that they wanted money. Something about us not paying the money on time? Not even sure.

Basically what happened was that the insurance company was not going to pick up the tab 100%, which is fine. When the hospital called them up regarding this, they even mentioned it to them. The hospital, probably fearing that we wouldn’t be able to pay it all by ourselves, wanted to make it seem very scary to us, and we even received a letter that sounded pretty threatening. It didn’t even specify why we had to pay 30% of the tab but when I saw the threatening tone, I figured I should pay it. But then later on my husband saw it and asked where I’d gotten it from. That’s when I actually sat down and thought about it.

The next day, determined to get this sorted out, I went to the billing department at the hospital, after three failed call attempts. The first couple of times it rang but later on, it was just the busy tone. When I went there, no one told me anything what I wanted to hear. It was all beating around the bush, and get this- they blamed the insurance company. They then told me not to worry and that I could apply for some discounts. But this wasn’t even my intention. Agitated, I left and then called up the insurance company that finally explained everything in detail.

Basically, the fact that they had called up the insurance company and ironed out all the details was not told to me by the hospital, but by the insurance company, that even drew out a Venn diagram to make their point. When it comes down to it, the billing department was doing anything to make sure that we paid the money- which is just disgusting. What kind of an unacceptable practice is this? The worst part is that even after taking such good care of my boy, I won’t dare go back to this hospital. Not because the service sucked but because one department screwed up big time. Lost a loyal customer.

Mutley

Mutley

Can’t help but tip my hat off to Dr. Oliver who constantly baffles me with her level of professionalism and knowledge. And of course, her amazing team that backs her up every single time, the staff associates, the nurses, and other medical staff. This is the 4th time I’ve had to come in this year (it’s been pretty tiring) but I don’t know what I’d do without your support. The pain clinic at SC is honestly the best place I’ve ever been to in a hospital. I remember coming in, on some pretty heavy pain medication and when I was told to lose weight, I scoffed. But here I am, a year later, 90+ pounds down, and only 90 more to go. So much love and respect for the entire team.

tigerbolt

tigerbolt

Having fallen off the ledge from a 2 storied building, I thought I was dead while being taken to the ER of SC. This is where my life changed. They bandaged me up while giving me a motivational pep talk and I gained a new perspective on life here. Made some pretty good friends too.

dalia00

dalia00

I remember coming to this hospital when I was 19 and got stung by a wasp. I was in a pretty alarming state, I remember feeling extremely faint and thinking it was the end. But the doctors at Swedish Covenant did their best to keep me alive. Anyway, the other day I had to rush in my girlfriend because she was feeling severely dehydrated- we figured out later on that she had had food poisoning. Having come in at 2 AM, the ER was not half as crowded as I’d anticipated and we didn’t have to wait around for long before seeing the doctor. He said it was food poisoning and said she would have to stay in the hospital for a day.

While getting her checked in there were a few nurses who made shrewd comments about us- I let it go because at this point, it’s become so common that it just rolls off my back. I mean, it’s the 21st century and you still have a problem with me being gay, sue me. But what I won’t stand is my girlfriend NOT getting the care she should get just because you are a bunch of homophobes. I remember she asked for a blanket in the middle of the night and the nurse said she’d bring it, but never did. I’d fallen asleep and didn’t even know she was freezing! Very pitiful place.

E

Eff

The ER team at Swedish covenant are phenomenal- they don’t need any help from anyone else. I don’t know why so many people complain about the ER because no matter when we come, we never have to wait for more than 15-20 minutes and are in and out of the hospital in under 2 hours (unless they have to get admitted). Also, after going to a few other hospitals, I can say that SC is a lot more hygienic, the staff is a lot more friendly and the doctors are a lot more efficient. Well worth the money even if you don’t have insurance.