PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for St Vincent'S East located in 50 MEDICAL PARK EAST DRIVE - Birmingham, AL. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
50 MEDICAL PARK EAST DRIVE
City
BIRMINGHAM
State
AL
ZIP Code
County
JEFFERSON
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
58 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
5%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
98 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
338 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
67%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
9%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
14.1%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
13.1%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
3.7%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
12.4%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
8.9%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
16.1%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
2.6%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Significantly netter than the National Rate
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
S

Sage

Hi!!

I had heard a lot about St. Vincent’s East, so the hospital is way below on my priority list. Two months back, my mother developed shortness of breath and started panting. Not knowing where to go, I took her to St. Vincent’s East in fear and trepidation.

But all my doubts were laid to rest when I reached the hospital. The nurse, the charge nurse, and the on-call doctor were great. They told me mom had suffered a heart attack and that I got her here in the nick of time. The staff took really good care of her, and after a week’s stay, she was all ready to go out and rock the world! Thank you guys for taking very good care of my mother!

Oblivion

Oblivion

It is my first time here, and I am completely blown away by the hospital. This is a huge building, both from inside and outside. I was afraid I would get lost in this building. People who visit here regularly can easily get around the hospitals but not people like me. If you have to stay overnight, then the hospital does offer some good facilities such as a cafeteria court for your convenience. The hospital also has a coffee stand, a pharmacy, and a gift shop on the main floor.

B

brooklyn1964

I have had one of the worst experiences ever since I started visiting a hospital. I am 45 years old, so have been to many hospitals, but nowhere have I had such a horrible experience. I went to the ER due to unbearable abdominal pain. I had to wait for nearly 5 hours in the waiting room (I went on a weekday around 12 noon, and the ER waiting room had very few people). By God’s grace, an NP then came to check me out and wasted five precious minutes of her, wrote something down and then stepped out. I was seething in anger…this lass did not even touch me for checking the source of my pain. The looking and writing down took 2 minutes. The rest 3 minutes were spent on arguing with me.

I told her I had questions such as what was the diagnosis. What caused this? What should I do if it happens again? What are the 4 medications that have been prescribed? Would it help it controlling pain? The NP comes back, clearly grumpy, and spends another 3 minutes answering me. I asked her why is the diagnosis so vague; she says this is a general diagnosis. So my next question was then why the medications? Her response sealed the deal. "Well, if you want, you can follow up with GI." WOW!!! This is great!! Before I could say anything, she walks off.

I thought that the ordeal ended there, but no, worse was to come. I go to the discharge window, and the billing clerk tells me, I have to pay $315. I said okay, but I want the bill, and he was shocked. He felt he was talking to an alien. Getting back his composure, he says, “We cannot give the bill, you can deposit the money here and call a number if you want the bill.” How sweet of him…I just flung the money at his face and stomped off, vowing that I would not mind driving a lit bit more if I can find a much better hospital than this one.

G

Gelicider

St. Vincent’s East is a terrible hospital. The staff does not care for their patients. I had got my father admitted here a few days ago. A nurse came and saw him, an NP came and saw him, but no clear diagnosis and the doctor did not come at all. When they tried to hook up the IV line, it would not fix. The nurse who came to attach the line did not know how to find a vein. Finally, I caught hold of a doctor, pleaded him to discharge my father, so that I could at least save his life. I got him discharged and took him to another hospital and got him properly treated.

R

rory

I had an appointment with Dr. Deithelm in the neuro unit. The doctor’s staff was friendly and very helpful. Their actions made me feel at ease. It felt that they genuinely cared for their patients. Dr. Deithelm was also very good, and even though the appointment took only 15 to 20 minutes, I felt that I spent an eternity with him. He asked all the relevant questions and finally prescribed some medicines. His staff also checked in after a week to see how I was doing. Now that is called caring.

The only issue with the hospital is the lack of parking lot signs. The buildings are well-labeled, but there are only a few signs for showing the right direction. It is a bit cumbersome for new people to get around in the hospital.

A

abbey

St. Vincent’s East is the best hospital in Birmingham, AL! The care my mother received at this place is unmatched! The staff was great, and so were the nurses and the doctors. These people are very compassionate! I would definitely bring my family to this hospital for any health-related issues.