Top Pulmonary Hospital St Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for St Barnabas Hospital located in 4422 THIRD AVENUE - Bronx, NY. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
4422 THIRD AVENUE
City
BRONX
State
NY
ZIP Code
County
BRONX
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
56 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
6%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
80 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
614 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
1.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
51%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
18%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
10.8%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
14.7%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
7.3%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
17.4%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
D

dean12345

The pediatrics department at St. Barnabas has undergone renovation I reckon, or it has expanded. Something has changed ever since I came here last, which was 9 years ago. But my 5 year old son loved the playroom here and got a lot of attention from the medical staff too. He had a bit of an ear infection and was experiencing a LOT of pain.

He was crying all the way to the hospital, but once in the playroom, it was like he’d forgotten about the pain. It was pretty amazing. Almost like the nurses are “child whisperers”, as I like to call them (hee-hee). To the great team of doctors and nurses at the pediatrics unit of this hospital, keep up the good work. As a single parent, I can say with conviction that I long to see my child smiling 24x7. Much regards and respect!

K

kad123

This is one of those places in Bronx where you know everyone will run towards (especially those without insurance) and is therefore, extremely crowded. As a child with no medical insurance, I too had to come to St. Barnabas whenever I used to have ear infections, but as I grew up and moved out of the Bronx I realized how bad the healthcare here really was. Not only did the nurses and doctors act very rude to the patients, but they didn’t genuinely care about their health. It was all about the money.

A

albertnobel103

Even though there is a triage system in place at the ER, I think the ER is very effective here. They don’t just let sick patients wait out inside the public waiting area, especially diseases that are communicable- this was the case in many hospitals I’d been to. So that’s definitely something.

Martin Adam

Martin Adam

My husband had the most horrific experience of his life at this hell hole of a hospital. St. Barnabas doesn’t deserve to be up and running today and I am definitely going to be sending in an official complaint very soon about this. But before I did that I wanted to write this review, just so that people can really see them for who they are. Sending in a complaint will do less to the good of people, I feel.

So my husband had to be taken in urgently due to a serious fall when he was home one day, and had already twisted his ankle earlier that week. I was in Virginia at the time, for a business meeting and had no idea what was going on. He called his sister because lord knows he hates a hospital. When my sister in law came over, she called the ambulance and when they got to the ER, they asked him to wait. He was in an enormous amount of pain and asked the receptionist if they had any medical prescription so he wouldn’t have to endure so much pain.

The DUMB receptionist suggested taking a morphine. She then talked to a nurse who said a morphine could be prescribed. She said she talked to the ER doctor about this but clearly she didn’t. Doctors don’t recommend that you take morphines as and when you desire, because there are many side effects. So the problem is that, my husband has had several urinary infections and his kidneys were not in the best of health for a few years now. He hadn’t been taking morphine and didn’t know it could have such a bad effect on him. The nurse gave him the morphine, and he took it, thinking it would reduce the severity of the pain, which was crazy.

Evidently, he started having severe issues after coming back home so he had to be rushed to Columbia Pres. This was where they told us that the morphine was what did the problem. For someone with a history such as my husband, a morphine tablet was all that was needed to create a whole ruckus. He had to be admitted immediately and that’s when I reached NY.

I knew that whatever happened, I had to give St. Barnabas a piece of my mind. When I demanded to know who gave authorization to give morphine to a kidney patient, no one said anything and they asked me to lower my voice. I got so upset, I knew there was no point talking to them. One of the doctors who came to me looked like he was 10 and had zero experience. Should we really be allowing doctors such as these to take care of us when we are ill? Murderers. I will get my revenge.

daynighthealthcare

daynighthealthcare

One group that seems to be neglected in all raving reviews about hospitals is the cleaning staff. One thing I know for sure about St. Barnabas (having been admitted here three times already) is that they do an excellent job in keeping the halls of Barnabas spotless.

Not just the halls, but they clean patient rooms and bathrooms at least once a day (sometimes even at night). I think the head janitor is kind of OCD about cleanliness, which only works out for the better of the hospital.

When people complained to me about st. Barnabas being filthy, I wondered if this janitor had been appointed then. The doctors and nurses are also compatible, everything works with a harmonious rhythm. I liked it here.

M

maryadam

I’ve lived in Manhattan almost all my life, but when I went to visit my sister in the Bronx, I had to get admitted into this hospital as an outpatient (after being kept “under observation” for a few hours). This was when I noticed how different outpatients are treated in Manhattan than over here. I always looked down on the Bronx and considering how much Manhattan is hyped, I never considered there was anything better. But the service here is incomparable- they were so warm and comforting. The staff is respectful, the doctors are reachable at any hour and it’s one of those few hospitals where it feels like it’s not about the money.