Top Pulmonary Hospital SSM Health St Louis University Hospital MO (Complication Rates) & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Ssm Health St Louis University Hospital located in 3635 VISTA AVE - Saint Louis, MO. Contains reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
3635 VISTA AVE
City
SAINT LOUIS
State
MO
ZIP Code
County
ST. LOUIS CITY
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Proprietary
Emergency Department Volume
high
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
5%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
12 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
443 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
61%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
12%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
13.4%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
12.3%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
15.3%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
7.2%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Somewhat better than National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
15.5%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Hospital Acquired Central Line Blood Infection Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Not Available
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
jahaziel

jahaziel

I am usually not a rude person but I also do not appreciate being pushed around or yelled at either. There was a nurse I would like to name in particular, Nurse Helena. I usually try to be very understanding of the fact that these hospital staff may be coming off a very long, tedious shift, and be extra considerate. However, something about her just didn’t sit right with me. When she couldn’t get the needle to go through in the first few tries (it happens, I looked past it), she started mumbling under her breath about how it was because I was overweight. I let it slide, although hurt. She then proceeds to make many other fat jokes and when I had had it with her, I asked her to stop before I requested I have another nurse assist me. To this, she practically sung that she was the only one and that my wellness basically laid in her hands. She had this rotten attitude about her that I could not STAND. Never coming back here, if I can help it.

H

HaMzAh

The ER here is a pretty good place to be treated. Had an allergic reaction to some fish and was instantly brought here. The medical staff was on it, instantly and I was good to go in less than an hour, paperwork and all. I would definitely recommend SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital to my friends and family.

I

internet_monster

As a bit of a germophobe, I have always been slightly apprehensive about hospitals, just because of the cesspool of germs that float about, but I would ration with myself that since this is also where these very germs are killed, it should be pretty sanitary. I couldn’t have been more wrong! Not only was the paint chipping, and swollen because of some obvious water leakage, I was most shocked to find mold in the walls and the bathrooms! I was caught off guard and definitely invited on a panic attack with the new information. I will give the cleaning staff, Ben, a shout for sympathizing with my visible shock and cleaning the bathroom quite well, on my request. You went above and beyond your payroll, sir. Thank you for that.

E

erina94

Their treatment towards the elderly is especially harsh. Since they can’t move as much and are usually in too much pain to argue, they are easy targets for nurses and doctors to take out their frustration. When my mother was admitted, she was in the ICU for days, before she started recovering and was finally brought to the private room. My siblings and I took turns staying over with her at night, after work. Whenever I would come, the nurses always took such care of her, always attentive. However, once, I didn’t have much work and decided to surprise my mom with a visit her, and that is when I saw the kind of mistreatment she was actually being given behind our backs. My poor mother was laying in a pool of her own pee for God knows how long! When I called the nurse, she said she had to rush to another room but she would ask someone to do it. A few minutes later, I saw her watching TV in the nurse’s lounge, eating chips and talking to people. I went and finally washed her up myself. Also started the paperwork to transfer her to an actual hospital.

avett

avett

The doctors here need to be given a good talking to. A sacred profession such as theirs should not be handled by someone as careless and stubborn as Dr. Daniels. Post-op, I was still in a considerable amount of pain and figured it was normal. I had complained to the doctor on multiple occasions, but he just told me that was how it was. It wasn’t until a week later, when the pain just kept getting harder to ignore. Dr. Daniels reluctantly agreed to check out the stitches and that was when I realized something had gone seriously awry! Not only were the stitches not healing, but there was a bluish hue to my skin in that area. He had messed up my surgery and he wasn’t even ready to admit it! I was mortified! Luckily, I got a transfer and they fixed me up real well. The face of that Doctor that almost ruined my life, is forever etched in my brain.

R

rondell

Have I had better experiences at hospitals? Yes, definitely. Was this the worst hospital related-experience I’ve had? No, it wasn’t. the doctors were ok, the nurse did her job fine. I guess it was an average experience. I only write this comment because of the numerous negative comments I read, that made me highly skeptical of going there in the first place. I personally didn’t find it all that bad. They really should do something about their tiny waiting areas though. It is very difficult to stand, when unwell, in a crowded room full of sick people, fighting silently over the few tattered seats available.

amilah

amilah

I liked I SSM. The reception desk was absolutely clueless of the layout of the hospital, much less what goes on in there, but once you find your way around, the medical staff is quite cooperative and professional. Yes, I would have appreciated a friendly nod or a warm smile, but the information passed on was to the point, and respectful. I guess there isn’t much to complain about in that regard.