High Cost Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center (Las Vegas, NV) Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center located in 5400 SOUTH RAINBOW BLVD - Las Vegas, NV. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
5400 SOUTH RAINBOW BLVD
City
LAS VEGAS
State
NV
ZIP Code
County
CLARK
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Proprietary
Emergency Department Volume
high
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
0%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
314 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
2.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
61%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
14%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
15.3%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
10.5%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
3.4%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
17.7%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
8.2%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
16.8%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
2.6%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Hospital Acquired Central Line Blood Infection Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
H

Hawar

My recommendation would be to stay the hell away from this s**t hole of a hospital. They are very biased, I was new and this old-timer patient walked in and he obviously got priority treatment. They shamelessly make you wait for hours. Not cool.

J

Juanpeace

It’s all about how efficient and sweet the nurses are that determines the likelihood of a good hospital stay, because let’s face it, they’re the most important part of any hospital stay. They’re the ones who will take care of you 70% of the time, the doctors just diagnose you, give you medication orders and leave. I have always been extremely unlucky when it comes to nurses- they never like me, two have called me sexist, and they always find a way to kick me out of the hospital. This time around though, I was surprised that my visit to Spring Valley was completely different. It changed my perspective on female nurses and I have actually started taking an interest in what they do and value their opinions.

So growing up, I was always told that nurses don’t know squat, that they’re just there to do the dirty work, whatever the doctors don’t want to do. My dad was a doctor himself, and I got this information from him. Which probably explains my unhealthy attitude towards nurses to start off with and why they called me sexist. But most other hospitals were exactly what my father had told me, so while some patients say they’re scared of needles, I used to say I was afraid of nurses. Anyway, I met three nurses at Spring Valley, two of whom were nursing students. They were the most tender, sweetest souls I’ve ever met in my life that I completely forgot they were nurses to begin with.

One of my worst nightmares about hospitals was when I had broken my femur and was admitted in a hospital for a few days. Every time I had to go to the bathroom, the annoying nurse there dragged me all the way to the bathroom, which as you can imagine, was very painful. But over here, I didn’t have to move a thumb. The nurses were very considerate of my surgery and I was allowed to use a bed pan. Every time I felt like puking, she made sure I had something to vomit in and offered gum right after. I’m not even sure that’s something she was supposed to do, but like I said, very considerate. Their names were Kathy, Leila, and Sarah (I think?) and I thank them from the bottom of my heart for making my stay at Spring Valley very memorable.

lesathomas

lesathomas

I cannot believe how UTTERLY useless the staff in this hospital are. I swear, even if I’m unconscious, I would NEVER want to come back here. What a horrible place to be sick at, horrible doctors and horrible nurses.

AlexxG

AlexxG

I would recommend the L&D unit at Spring Valley hospital in Las Vegas solely because of the NICU did SUCH a tremendous job with my new born niece. So my sister is over 40 and she was told that it would be a complicated pregnancy but she decided to go with it anyway. Turns out the baby had some mild breathing issue as soon as she was born so she was taken to the NICU immediately. She had to remain here for a few days and my sister was clearly freaking out but since we were allowed to see her, I was happy she was there. The nurses and doctors are on top of everything here- they understand how serious it is. They let you know exactly what’s happening too, and my niece was fine after 3 days at the NICU here. Recommend!

X

XLS

The craziest thing happened to me the other day. I had come in to Spring Valley because I was feeling very woozy and light headed. They put me under observation for a few hours and I fell asleep. When I woke up to go to the bathroom, I remember feeling extremely weak for a second and the next thing, I collapsed onto the floor. Blacked out for a few minutes, straight.

When I opened my eyes I was in the ER and there were a few doctors and nurses surrounding me, they were talking about a surgery but I wasn’t sure for what. Basically, they were able to come up with a prognosis sooner than I’d expected and realized that I had a ruptured artery and was bleeding internally. Had they found this out later on, chances of bleeding to death would’ve been my case (well, I’m only assuming that).

But I just keep going back to that incident where I fell. Because it was late at night and I’m pretty sure my falling down wasn’t that loud that people would come rushing in. The fact that they found me on the floor and took me directly to the ER was a shock to me. This means that they actually are pretty diligent about rounds and checking up on patients every now and then.

Anyway, the surgery went just fine- it was a foreign doctor, they said he was the best of the best, so I was happy. All went well, afterward they told me that there were no abnormalities as such so I was very grateful. After a few weeks I was allowed to go back home and now it’s been 3 months and no issues have come up since. Even the post surgical procedures were very smooth, no issues whatsoever.

T

Tmaxwell

I had my first ever ER experience at this hospital and the service is not bad. The only thing that alarmed me was that most of the nurses that tended to me were fresh out of medical school, so they were fumbling around A LOT.
Also, I wouldn’t say that it’s the most hygienic hospital in all of Nevada, but at least the house keeping team are very responsive to feedback. When I asked them to clean my bathroom, they did it in a jiff.
Also I’m grateful to them because even though this wasn’t my first choice, I got to see a doctor right away without having to wait. Other hospitals had kicked me out, saying they didn’t have room in their ERs *like what?*

richard

richard

Okay, to all of you who are confused about what to believe on SVH reviews, believe me, you are in great hands. My girlfriend was diagnosed with breast cancer and we were so depressed. But this hospital really helped her, and more than anything, made sure they cut out some time to talk to us about how we felt…emotionally. It was like a free therapy session each week. Love and appreciate their concern.