Low Cost Sparrow Hospital (Lansing, MI) Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Sparrow Hospital located in 1215 E MICHIGAN AVENUE - Lansing, MI. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
1215 E MICHIGAN AVENUE
City
LANSING
State
MI
ZIP Code
County
INGHAM
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Other
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
25 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
3%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
57 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
427 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
64%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
7%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
13%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
12.2%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
2.9%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
15.9%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
8%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
18.4%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Worse than the National Rate
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
2.7%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Abdominal Hysterectomy
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly lesser than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
D

Dodger

This is sort of a mixed review because I can’t entirely make up my mind about how I feel about Sparrow hospital. Note that a lot of people are suspicious about how there are so many “good” reviews about the L&D ward here because warn you, they are anything but nice. Granted that the OB/GYNs are competent and actually know what they are doing, it’s the staff that I just CANNOT stand. There was literally this Mexican nurse who told me that I would be thrown out of the room where my wife was giving birth if I didn’t “control” my emotions. Just because I was nervous and squealing each time my wife pushed. Is that really necessary? To be so rude to someone who is just reacting to something so naturally beautiful?

I

ItsRichard

I don’t think I can ever give up running, even with Runner’s knee. I remember how badly I’d injured it a week ago after running for over 2 hours on the treadmill and decided not to go for the rest of the week. But of course, the gym bug bugged me to go back 2 days later and I ended up taking a pretty bad fall. I called my husband immediately who called the ambulance to take me to the ER. I realized that I’d developed a pretty angry bump on my knee now and that’s when I realized how badly this could go down. But I kept my cool in front of my husband because I didn’t want to freak him out, not until the doctor gave the prognosis at least…

The ER was extremely crowded, dear Lord I’d never seen anything like it. Everyone hates going to the hospital, and I’d always wondered why people said that to begin with, but that’s because I’ve literally never had to go to the hospital all my life. Up until last week, of course. The wait was over 2.5 hours and I put on a strong face for my hubby, saying I felt fine. One thing I can say about the ER is how efficient the cleaning team was. Even though people were streaming in and out of it, sick people and healthy alike, the place was very neat and clean.

After the triage, they gave me a knee brace and asked me to keep my knee elevated, which I did using the chair next to me. After I was finally called to see the doc, they took a bunch of scans and X-rays to check what had happened. That took another couple of hours, and I remember feeling like I was awake for the whole thing, even though I’d fallen asleep or passed out from the pain. Not sure. But I woke up to good news, that nothing was broken, it was just an overly exerted knee that couldn’t take the pressure, which was why I’d fallen. But they also said that through the scans, they’d found something else that they’d like to take a look at.

This meant another couple of hours in the room, lying awake in bed, scared that it might be cancer. But it turned out to be a benign cyst, which they could remove easily. We booked an appointment for that and left the hospital in a cast. My husband said that even though I’d slept through most of it, the staff was very warm and welcoming. Also the doctor was extremely competent- he knew exactly what tests needed to be taken and even found the cyst, even though he wasn’t looking for it. Very nice hospital, I give it 5 stars.

Y

Yolina

The only hospital that I’ll ever recommend with no reservations, whatsoever. They have helped me on various occasions. Appreciate.

Johny123

Johny123

I cannot believe how unbelievably rude some of the nurses are at the NICU of this hospital. Mind you, that new mothers are already going through quite a storm in their heads, having being separated from their babies in the first place. But these nurses are SO rude. Zero compassion. I remember passing by one room where the woman was crying and the nurse literally insinuated that the reason the baby was sick was because of her bad eating habits. I’m sorry, how about some compassion? Dear lord. My wife told me that no one had spoken badly to her, but I swear if anyone had, I would break their necks.

Our baby too, was sadly in the NICU to have some basic tests run. Apparently this is a precautionary method a lot of people take, but it’s not necessary (or at least that’s what one of the nice nurses told me). Either way, we hope everything is okay. As for the NICU department of the Sparrow hospital, seriously learn some manners and try treating your patients in a better way. Otherwise, you’ll be getting a lot of complaints.

Kingly

Kingly

The pediatrics unit at Sparrow is unbeatable. They are very efficient when it comes to child care and there’s no chaos in the ER here. My 9 year old had zero issues getting through to an ER pediatrician and they demanded some samples and tests to be conducted immediately. I think we were in an out of the hospital in less than 3 hours- something that never happens with us adults. Whatever, at least they are efficient at what they do.

D

doublemummy

If you are thinking of going to the Sparrow Hospital’s ER, I strongly recommend you think of a better alternative. Even if you stay at home, it’s just as good as not coming to this hospital, trust me. The worst place I’ve seen where they treat patients like garbage. I went there myself one night because I had the worst kind of migraine, where I could neither sleep nor sit up. So I drove myself to Sparrow, it’s close to home, so I didn’t think about anything else. When I got there, they asked me to wait my turn, so I did. No issue there.

But then. This old woman was brought in by the EMT who was clearly having a seizure of some sort. They asked HER to wait too. Their excuse was that, they weren’t certain whether she was, in fact, having an actual seizure or faking it. She then said, “don’t judge us folks, we get a lot of these cases” to the rest of us who were clearly giving her the stink eye. What I can’t believe is that they actually let the poor lady be like that for 2 hours! And that too, in front of children who were crying at this point.

After 3 hours of waiting and almost falling off my chair, I went to the reception and asked them when my turn would be. They then chuckled and said that it’d only been 3 hours. Only. ONLY. I gave them a cold stare and asked them to just answer my question. Of course, this enraged them and they said, another 3 hours at least. I got so angry that I just left. It didn’t matter that my head was still on fire, but I would not have some underpaid nursing b***h treat me like garbage.

S

Scooby

I don’t like the security area at the ER, and god forbid you’re a Muslim- they check you from head to toe thoroughly. My bags and property were all searched and I can’t help but feel a little discriminated.

A

A1

I don’t have a single bad thing to say about Sparrow. From the first day I entered this place to have my little girl Maya checked at the Pediatrics department, to just yesterday, when my husband, Carter had his vitals checked with the general physician, their service has always been top notch. It’s not about the insurance either, because ours is not fancy or anything. But there’s just a spark in their eyes when they see us- it’s about a human connection, and about friendship. It’s easy to bad mouth a hospital as great as this one just because you’ve had a bad experience, but always remember the repercussions they have to endure because of what you say. Just saying.