PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Southwest General Hospital located in 7400 BARLITE BLVD - San Antonio, TX. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
7400 BARLITE BLVD
City
SAN ANTONIO
State
TX
ZIP Code
County
BEXAR
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Physician
Emergency Department Volume
medium
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
2%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
575 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
1.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
55%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
18%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
12.6%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
10.5%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
14.6%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
10.5%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
15.4%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Hospital Acquired Central Line Blood Infection Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
A

Amin

For the love of God do NOT take your loved ones to Southwest General. I regret ever thinking of bringing my mother here but we didn’t really have much of a choice. This happened two weeks ago and she needed immediate surgery after being consulted by a surgeon. To be fair, they did take on our case when many other hospitals were asking us to go to medical institutions, but I found that most of the staff were very lazy. They also approached everything at a glacial pace which bugged the hell out of me. Unprofessional in many ways, if you ask me. Hence, would not recommend.

Readme@Amy

Readme@Amy

I hate going to new hospitals and ever since I moved to San Antonio I’ve been going to Methodist and Methodist alone- it takes me forever to get used to a hospital, and this was the only hospital I felt comfortable at. So when my doc scheduled my knee surgery at Southwest General, I was a tad bit annoyed. Not to mention all the horrible reviews it has, which really freaked me out and I begged my doctor to conduct the procedure at Methodist.

But apparently that was not an option, so I had to make do with Southwest. The surgery was a month from now and I started feeling really light headed in the middle of the night. Normally, I go to Methodist without a second thought. It’s almost a no brainer when it comes to hospitals for me.

But since I’d booked a surgery appointment with SGH, I figured I’d pay a visit to the ER here, see what the vibe is like on a regular Tuesday. And honestly, I’m glad I did because it was not what I was expecting. Let me just say: do not listen to reviews. Since I walked in, I met a few staff members, all of whom were extremely cordial and welcoming. You could see their concern for you across their faces, it wasn’t just about making the money.

They seemed to be understaffed that day, and apparently, two nurses, who’d just finished 18-hour shifts stayed back because they needed help with emergency surgery. Even though I didn’t like the idea of running short of staff for a surgical procedure, you can’t help but feel for them. The way they care for their patients, how they try to add a dash of humor with everything, just so that the patients don’t feel like they’re wasting their lives here.

The attitude at SWGH is something that must be admired and hopefully imbibed in other hospitals. I sure as hell hope that Methodist treated their patients with a smile, the way the doctors at Southwest do. Even though I was nervous about my surgery earlier, safe to say that I am definitely not anymore. Talked to my doctor and moved up my appointment to two weeks from now. Thank you all for your help at the ED, you guys are absolute Godsends. Keep up the good work, peace out.

Carnold23

Carnold23

When in San Antonio (Southside SA in particular), you won’t find another hospital that is more accommodating than Southwest General. And this is not just my prerogative, you could ask anyone in the neighborhood and they would say the same. Whether it’s as simple as a shot or something as complicated as open heart surgery Southwest’s got you covered. If there’s something lacking it’s probably some of the sassy nurses but other than that this place is a gem.

E

elrjlr22

I can vouch for the surgical ward at Southwest. These people really know their s**t. They have a very thorough procedure of discussing all the viable options with the family members.
They simply present all the facts, all the options and ask for your opinion. It’s not your typical “I’m the boss so listen to me” sort of scenario that I’m so used to at hospitals.
My kid brother has a rare form of blood cancer so treatment has always been a bit of a hassle. But not so much at Southwest.
Besides, it’s always difficult to find a hospital that my brother finds comfortable. Two hospitals we’d previously been to for chemo in Houston and then Dallas were awful. Very rude staff, zero compassion for patients. A massive shout out to the amazing, attentive staff at the surgical ward. Without you guys, my brother would not be alive today.

prose

prose

It’s pretty messed up how biased the triage system is. If you get into the ER then don’t expect to leave anytime before 4-5 hours. Sadly, this is not even an exaggeration. No regard to patients or their loved ones and the doctors are rude and impolite. If I had the choice of going back to Southwest or dying in my bed, I would choose the latter.