Top Heart Hospital High Cost South Miami Hospital FL Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for South Miami Hospital located in 6200 SW 73RD ST - South Miami, FL. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
6200 SW 73RD ST
City
SOUTH MIAMI
State
FL
ZIP Code
County
MIAMI-DADE
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
medium
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
52 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
2%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
39 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
312 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
4.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
69%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
8%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
12%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
12.9%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
3.3%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
14.8%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
9.1%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
14.7%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
2.7%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
MM66b

MM66b

The Labor and Delivery nurses at this place are insane! I gave birth to my first child here 5 years ago and came back last month to deliver my second child. What can I say, the service hasn’t deteriorated one bit; everyone is still just as helpful, in fact the OB who helped deliver my first son, Sunny, was still there (although she didn’t deliver Dianne- my second baby). Even though the pregnancy was a tad bit complicated, there was no issue here. Lovely experience.

sol0

sol0

I don’t have much experience at the South Miami hospital and had only heard some reviews about the L&D unit from my sister. However, I had to be rushed in 2 days ago and SMH was the closest to my home, so the EMT took me there. I was short of breath and am an asthma patient, and my inhalers weren’t doing their job well enough… As soon as I was wheeled in on the stretcher, I didn’t have to wait or anything, the doctor came in immediately and took my vitals and put me on albuterol.

This worked like a charm for me, and in a few minutes I felt the tightness in my chest get light. My breathing was getting back to track but I was still taking small breaths, just in case. This was when I met Lenny. She was the sweetest, most patient nurse in the whole ER unit and was by my side the whole time. She was a student nurse, apparently who freaked out when she saw my face. “Well it was blue,” was what she said. Even though she was expected to put me on IV and take a blood test, she was super confident and I had no clue she was a student nurse until she told me.

They then told me I had to stay the night and put me “under observation” for the night. Student nurse Lenny’s shift was done at 12 am but she stuck around till 5 am with me, even when she knew she’d get into trouble if the chief of medicine found out. Basically, she cares way too much about the patients, something most nurses do not portray. I remember before they told me I might need a spike in medication, how I was freaking out a little, and she poked her cute little head into my room in another couple of hours (her shift hadn’t started then either). Very nice people.

M

michaellee7500

I am not one who normally speaks up and writes reviews about hospitals because it seems pointless. But this was outrageous- we got charged for parking. That too, the audacity. For a few hours, they charged us $100 even though we parked in the visiting area. I don’t think a hospital should be charging relatives for visiting their family, that’s just CRAZY

anna_jackson

anna_jackson

I have zero complaints with the service here. I am someone who has literally grown up here, was born here (my mother happens to be head nurse here) and ever since, for every small sniffle, I’ve been coming here. Even most of my summer vacations involved me running around the corridors of South Miami- so there’s no doubt that I’m a tad biased. But I remember when my best friend had to be rushed into the Emergency Room here after her thigh got cut, they took amazing care of her. The nurses and doctors are literally the sweetest people you will ever meet.

While dressing her up, they cracked her up with jokes so she wouldn’t feel the pain. They literally have the coolest tactics to make patients feel better. The other thing people complain about this practice is how there are constantly understaffed. Well to be fair, a lot of nurses have become nurse practitioners now, who are able to check and diagnose patients themselves. So I don’t know why people still complain about that. Also, honestly, the ER here is a lot better than most other hospitals in Miami, where it’s always overcrowded and scary. One thing’s for certain, hospital visits are not always the best, but South Miami does all it can to make sure you feel better.

Miller

Miller

I remember when I had to come in with my grandmother because she had a weird cut on her leg that seemed to be infected. She’s also a diabetic patient, so we were scared and rushed her in. They were sticking needles in her leg and she was wincing in pain. I felt so bad for her, but a few minutes later she’d cooled down and the nurses in the ER were talking to her and calming her down. I don’t know what I would’ve done if it weren’t for the kind nurses in the ER.

N

newman50

I had to have surgery for my salivary glands because it had become extremely big and disturbing. When my family doctor first told me about my ailment, I was extremely scared to go get it checked by a professional because the very word “surgery” scares the living bejeesus out of me. After ignoring it for a couple of weeks, I realized the problem got worse so I had to go back to my doctor who recommended Dr. Grand at South Miami. I bit the bullet and finally made an appointment to see him and I was surprised by how cordial he was. He said I would need surgery urgently- and of course, I obliged. I think I wasn’t used to people treating me this nice at a hospital, but the people at the ENT unit were so nice. They treated me with super special care and attention. I didn’t even realize how comfortable I’d feel post-surgery, which is something that never happens. Loved the service here.