PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Sharp Memorial Hospital located in 7901 FROST ST - San Diego, CA. Contains reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
7901 FROST ST
City
SAN DIEGO
State
CA
ZIP Code
County
SAN DIEGO
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
1%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
4 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
251 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
5.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
68%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
4%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
14.6%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
11.8%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
2.6%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
14.8%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
8.1%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
16.1%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Somewhat better than National Rate
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
1.7%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Abdominal Hysterectomy
Hospital Acquired Central Line Blood Infection Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly lesser than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average

66rani

The wait is a bit much especially for childrens dept the pediatrics dept was crowded when we went day before yesterday and we waited for 3 hours.
My child was down with the flu and I didn’t have time to make an apppintment and somehow that is my fault (as stated by the receptionist when I asked why I had to wait for so long). Not very nice people.

S

sophiereid

Hurt my back when I was moving to San Diego (lol) and had to end up seeing a doctor for it- Sharp Memorial was one of the hospitals I’d shortlisted as my potential “go to hospital” when I moved- didn’t care for the hospital too much though- for a back exam they asked me to get my heart checked while I was at it- what the hell for?? The only thing I liked was how they treated patients here- very friendly people- just that their priorities are all wrong- it’s all about the money over here- so not sure if I’d go back.

1998Leylah

The staff are very hard working and attentive. All kinds of patients come here. You’re asked to wait in the waiting room. Often in the same room as other sick patients. When I went in the common waiting area was filled with sick people and I asked them to put in a separate room because I’m a germophobe. They still took my concern into consideration and ended up asking em to wait in a separate room- this was a huge plus for me.

I was asked to get myself admitted as a patient. First to be kept under observation. I didn’t mind because I came prepared with a backpack. The room I got was nice and spacious even though I had to share it with another patient. But never had an issue with anything because there were so many nurses around me- ever ready to help. I was so pampered I started missing that treatment when I went back home. I got all the perks in my room: there was dish TV, snacks, you name it!
There’s no doubt that the employees put their life and souls into this job because without them the service at this hospital would be zero. Keep in mind that you might have to wait but other than that this hospital is super!

H

Havana

My father was admitted here for a mild heart episode last week and even though it was a serious issue he was in a good place. Thanks to the hospital. The employees made it a point to surround him with positive vibes only which we really appreciated. Love their attitude!

G

Gisela

If I had the chance I’d give some of the staff a good piece of my mind before leaving. Unfortunately I chose to be the bigger man. The nurses in particular I should say were just SO MEAN. Nightmares of human beings which is weird because nurses are supposed to be warm and comforting. This post is to complain about Nurse Katie in particular. Very young (possibly millennial) and very rude.

L

Life_Racer1998

Absolute favorite ER at San Diego- service is great, very efficient staff, will help you get out of there as soon as possible. It doesn’t feel like a hospital, they treat you like VIPs, give you nice, comfy rooms, even the waiting area has a lot of entertainment options so I never feel bad coming here.

S

shelton

The wait for the perfect hospital is finally over!! My wife and I have been searching frantically for the perfect hospital for weeks now and something about Sharp Memorial caught our attention.
Maybe it was the way they treated us, made us feel extremely comfortable, talked to us like our opinions actually mattered, and of course the most important- my wife approved of the hospital’s cleanliness (which is the highest factor on her list).

Considering it was a complicated pregnancy we knew that a lot needed to be taken into consideration but the OBs here are great at what they do- definitely the best gyneo department in the country.
Very thankful to them for helping deliver baby Neil despite all the hiccups along the way. He had some trouble breathing in the initial stages so he was taken to the NICU- again a pretty scary place for a parent to be at.

But thankfully we had no issues there, everyone was very accommodating and we got to be by our baby’s side the entire time. My poor wife refused to sleep or rest and was doing everything she could to get Neil in good condition at the earliest possible.
And sure enough in a few days he was as good as new and we got the green signal to take him home. Downright happiest moment of my life! Thank you for all your patience and help, Sharp memorial family. We love you!

J

Johana

Review about Sharp Memorial:
Good employees: Great doctors, qualified and professional. Amazing nurses, timely and competent. Other staff members are also very smart and good at their jobs. You won’t feel like it’s a loss coming to this hospital. Have been impressed with this hospital since 2015 and have not been to another hospital in years. Don’t have to wait long in the ER room the triage is very efficient. All in all, a great hospital.