PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Sarasota Memorial Hospital located in 1700 S TAMIAMI TRL - Sarasota, FL. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
1700 S TAMIAMI TRL
City
SARASOTA
State
FL
ZIP Code
County
SARASOTA
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Government - Hospital District or Authority
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
47 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
2%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
10 minutes
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
72 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
285 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
4.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
66%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
6%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
11.3%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
11.5%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
3.2%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
15.7%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
9.3%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
14.6%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
1.9%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Better than the National Rate
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Significantly better than the National Rate
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Abdominal Hysterectomy
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
M

Molly51

My mom had to be brought into the ER at 2 AM because she could not breathe. We figured she was having a heart attack, so called 911 immediately: turns out she wasn’t but her condition still appeared a tad serious, so they ran multiple tests, just to figure out what the problem was. I left her with my sister and came back home. After 6 hours I went back to find her sitting in the exact same position with no answers.

In fact, she was not even offered food or anything. When I asked the nurse why she hadn’t eaten yet, the nurse said that some patients may not be allowed to eat in that condition and I was like WHAT? What kind of absurdity is that? The nurse left and never came back but I will never forget her face. Another nurse showed up after sometime, saying her shift had ended.

This nurse said she would bring my mother lunch, and I could finally unclench. She showed up 20 minutes later with a hospital tray and my mother gobbled up everything on it. The poor thing was clearly starving. Not that I have anything against the nurses, but sometimes their behavior baffles me. Isn’t their #1 priority the patients’ wellbeing? Not sure that all hospitals have nurses like this, but I was upset.

ariana

ariana

Just moved here two days ago as the Hospice nurse and I can say that this place is a lot better than most hospitals in Florida. Going to assist a surgery tomorrow morning and the hospital staff’s dedication towards patients is palpable.

V

Viv

Is it a bad thing to say that Obamacare has ruined the services of this hospital, that earlier used to be much perkier and in general, much better? Ever since Obamacare came into being, I would say that the services have deteriorated by at least 90% and no, that is not an exaggeration.
This may sound crazy but there’s no system in this hospital. People with the simplest of ailments like a common cold or even a tiny scrape on the knee gets treated before more severe patients- how is that fair? It’s obvious that all hospitals prioritize the patients based on their severity of ailment.

Anyway, here is where I felt that the American healthcare system had finally given up on me. My husband fell and broke his leg so we had to rush him to Sarasota Memorial, it’s right next to our home. We gave all the information needed (related to insurance) and they asked us to wait. That was the wait of my life, and my poor hubby was delirious from the pain. And that wasn’t why I was furious.. it was because we saw so many people brush past us with their common colds and register, while handing their Obamacare cards at the desk, which allowed them to go in before my husband.

I cried for hours on end thinking about my poor husband who weld his eyes shut the entire time to feel a little better, but I know how much pain he was enduring. I fired at the receptionist twice, and both times she looked at me like she couldn’t even hear me. When I raised my voice, the rent-a-cop told me that I shouldn’t yell and that I could get arrested.

When we finally got to the doctor, he took an X-ray and confirmed it was broken. But they still didn’t give him any pain killers or anything. I was so upset, I told the doctor all about the Obamacare fiasco, and he simply said, “well that’s how the system works, mam. We can’t change the rules for your husband alone.” The most disrespectful doctor I’ve ever met with zero compassion.

Leaving my husband out of this, I am making a sincere request to the board members of Sarasota. Rest assured, I won’t be setting foot in this hospital again, but I don’t want other people to suffer in this manner. You’d better find a way to expand your services beyond the Obamacare and feel compassionate for the more “Sick” people. And shame on America for bringing this onto the people of its country.

zander

zander

I grew up at Sarasota, so to speak because my parents both worked here. They only had nice things to say about their experiences working there and the exceptional quality of care they were expected to provide. Even since they retired and I no longer get free healthcare from here (lol) I can honestly vouch for their quality of service.

pilesman

pilesman

I just came back home from being an inpatient for 2 days at Sarasota Memorial. Since I'd recently moved to Florida, I was warned by my friends that the hospital standards were not as great as Virginia, so I kept my expectations low. But honestly, I was surprised by how well maintained this hospital was and the customer service was amazing- better than Virginia even.

V

Van

My family and I took a short trip and we had to cut the trip short because my daughter started wheezing and saying she had breathing difficulties. And to be honest, for someone her age to be wheezing like that scared the living bejeezus out of me. We came back to Florida in a jiffy and this was the first time taking our Maya to a hospital. She was also very freaked out and kept saying, “let’s go home, dadda.”

I’d only come here twice with my wife before, but this was a pleasant surprise. The staff were so comforting, they greeted us with warm welcomes and they are just great at what they do. Before I knew it, Maya was giggling along with the doctor and had completely forgotten about the whole breathing fiasco. The attentive care satisfied both my wife and I and Maya had healed completely in less than 4 days. Thank you to everyone who helped us keep our cool during this very stressful situation.