Top Heart Hospital Samaritan Hospital (Troy, NY) Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Samaritan Hospital located in 2215 BURDETT AVENUE - Troy, NY. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
2215 BURDETT AVENUE
City
TROY
State
NY
ZIP Code
County
RENSSELAER
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
46 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
4%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
8 minutes
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
84 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
448 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
2.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
57%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
16%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
12%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
12.2%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
14.3%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
8.4%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
17.9%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
3%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
M

MICHEAL

This is one incredible hospital. The staff at this hospital has a very weird problem. They simply forget about their patients. If you are lucky enough then you would get the intake quickly, but then that’s is the end of the happiness. The nurses promise that they would be back but that never happens.

I once went into Samaritan Hospital for a severe migraine. It was a big mistake. I was taken in very quickly, and then the nurse forgot about me. Not that she was too busy…she just closed the room curtain and went away. Poor girl forgot that I was not deaf and could hear all the chitchatting that was happening around. I waited patiently for three hours before my patience wore thin and I decided that taking rest at home would be much better. I would never step my foot here again.

C

crestfallen

My father was taken by ambulance to Samaritan after he had fallen and hurt his neck and back. The staff quickly took him, addressed his neck pain, the doctor ordered a scan and later a neck brace. Also gave some pain medications. It was great except for one minor issue – his back pain. It was not looked into at all. This even when he had told the doctor that he had back pain. I took him to another hospital where they diagnosed him as having a ligament tear in his L1-L2 area and was advised to undergo rigorous treatment and was given a brace.

I had thought that with the name change, there would be the much-needed difference in the way the staff worked at this hospital, but it seems I was expecting too much. It is better to stay away from this terrible hospital... Even if this hospital is the last hospital standing in the world, please avoid it.

fortuitous

fortuitous

My wife was rushed into Samaritan Hospital ER due to intense pain in her back. We had hesitation going into this hospital but were pleasantly surprised by the way the staff treated us. She was taken in swiftly and within a matter of minutes was triaged and made as comfortable as possible. The doctor came and ordered a few tests. She was taken to the radiology department by a gentleman who made sure she did not feel any pain while being taken to the department. Tests revealed that she had a grade I tear of her ligament. The efforts which the staff put in to make sure that my wife did not feel uncomfortable during her stay here just blew me away. The doctor was also very friendly and helped us understand the problem and how it can be treated. Never did we feel ignored nor did we feel rushed. Thank you, Samaritan Hospital for treating my wife well!!!

calista

calista

Samaritan Hospital is a wonderful place where the best and most caring team takes care of all the patients. But Grumpy, the Boss ruins the day. Grumpy, the Boss? Well, I am reserving this name for the parking garage attendant.

I had to get some blood work done a few days back. Since I was new to this place, I was a bit confused and simply followed the parking signs. As I reached the garage, a grumpy individual (the attendant) calls me out and asks what am I doing at this place….With a straight face, I tell him, “Parking the car and going to meet the doctor.” This was met with another curt answer, “You are not supposed to park there.” Not wanting to aggravate the situation, I apologize and parked at a place which was identified by Grumpy, the Boss.

I go to the hospital, finish off work and two hours later return back to take my car. I get in and slowly start the car and drive up to Grumpy, the Boss to ask where the EXIT was. Grumpy would have nothing of it and proceeded to give a half-an-hour lecture regarding driving in garages and how irresponsible driving can cause harm to others, blah blah blah.

The only thing I understood was that I could not drive back and had to follow a different route. Maybe, if Grumpy, the Boss had been a bit more polite and pleasant, then the whole situation could have been avoided. Trust me, you would never like to meet Grumpy, the Boss because it could ruin your day just like it did mine.

B

bandwagon

Every hospital has got its share of useless and worthless people whose sole aim is to destroy the reputation of the hospital. This hospital has quite a few of them. However, if you ignore those, then this hospital has one of the best staff around. They are very caring, highly knowledgeable and willing to listen to the patients. I had gone to the ER for a severe allergic reaction to pine nuts. Not only was I taken in immediately, but all the paperwork was also completed within a matter of minutes. The on-call doctor came to check within 30 minutes and gave a steroid shot. My whole stay in the ER lasted for nearly two hours. At no point did I feel rushed and the doctor answered all of mine and my wife’s questions with a smile.

A

amelia

This was the quickest ER visit that I have ever had. Went in for a bruised ankle, a result of a round of football. I was taken in, the paperwork handled by an efficient team and a script for a scan was given. The aide made me as comfortable as possible and also cracked a few jokes just to lighten up my mood. The scan did not reveal any major break, just some bruised muscle. I was given a script for RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). The whole visit was over within three hours which included the billing. I would not hesitate to revisit this hospital for any medical needs.

wonky

wonky

I am highly impressed with the staff at Samaritan Hospital. Everybody was courteous and ready to help. The front desk did not make a face when I needed help for filling out forms nor did the housekeeping staff say anything when a water bottle slipped, and the water spilled on the floor. All the housekeeping staff did was a smile and went ahead with cleaning the spilled water.

The doctor was also a gentleman. He came on time for the appointment and addressed all my concerns with a pleasant smile. Satisfied with the fact that all my doubts have been cleared, I decided to go ahead with the surgery. Hope that everything goes as well as the present appointment has gone. I am keeping my fingers crossed.