PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Pennsylvania Hospital located in 800 SPRUCE STREET - Philadelphia, PA. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
800 SPRUCE STREET
City
PHILADELPHIA
State
PA
ZIP Code
County
PHILADELPHIA
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
medium
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
28 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
1%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
68 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
369 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
4.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
62%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
6%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
14.1%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
11.5%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
2.5%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
12.6%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
7.7%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
12.7%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
4.1%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Worse than the National Rate
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Abdominal Hysterectomy
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Significantly lesser than the National Average
K

karlee

Best hospital in the city, no doubt. I feel every hospital is different in its own way with plenty pros and cons, but this hospital had mostly pros. They take care of their patients with this zest that cannot be found anywhere else. I came in very sick and am now healthy and regular for my check-ups. I am always welcomed back with a smile of recognition, no matter who greets me. Love this practice.

H

helter-skelter

To all the family members who have to go through complete exhaustion because of the waiting lines in the emergency room, I sympathize. Genuinely. But this review shall be written out to the staff that works in the er, especially the receptionist, the head nurse and other nurse practitioners who have to deal directly with agitated family members. One thing I will admit to getting annoyed by are the humongous waiting lines at the er. Which is fairly ridiculous, considering it is after all an “emergency” room. Either way, I had to wait for 4 hours at the emergency room kiosk for my sister, and I have to say, some of the things I’ve heard the patients tell the medical staff is plain ridiculous. Almost like they know just how to grab their attention, even if their cases are not half as severe. In fact, one of the ladies sitting next to me had a really bad headache, and her husband went around yelling at the nurse, saying that she was about to faint from the pain. Though the woman sitting next to me was wide awake and flipping through a magazine. I’m not saying she wasn’t hurting, but it wasn’t quite as serious as say, a patient with a severe burn. They have learnt some “keywords” they know will work with the staff, just so the doctors can see them quicker than usual. The only problem with this is that the patients that most need the attention are overlooked and this is almost always the case. So a kind request for those members, please take a minute to look around at the other patients waiting patiently at the ER and think to yourself: is my case as bad as theirs? I do understand how annoying it is to wait, though. My sister just need a preventative shot and she could get out of there. But for that we had to wait for 4 hours and return the next day too. Arriving at a less busy time always proves effective, but then again ER visits are not premeditated. A personalized shout-out to all the amazing medical staff at PH for dealing with crazy people with utmost grace and discipline. Keep up the amazing work and know that you are being appreciated, at least by some of us. Thank you!

A

Asa

There are major billing issues with this hospital. A zero balance bill was issued to me when I left the hospital and then after 3 months later I got a bill with balance for the same account. Like, what?

E

Etta

You guys, this post is going to be nice and juicy, but also excruciatingly long. Bear with me, please. This post is long overdue considering I’ve been dealing with Pennsylvania hospital when I was pregnant and now my baby is a month old. Either way, I figured it wasn’t too late to share my experience, considering it was my first child and all. Also, there is a lot to look out for (especially if you’re a fellow mother-to-be) or are unaware of the procedures that often take place in a medical institution such as this. Before I begin listing out points though, I should say that the quality of medical care here was only subpar.
Firstly: the waiting lines are ridiculous. I feel that there’s supposed to be a system here, but there isn’t. People who came after me went in way before I did and I think the first time around I ended up waiting for 2 hours and 20 minutes before actually getting to see the doctor. And this is after booking an appointment and everything. I would have to say that that is pretty outrageous, I mean how understaffed are they? First of all, I had to book the appointment at night, after work and ended up coming back home at 1 in the morning.
Secondly: The staff are not very polite. In fact, during my third visit, the receptionist called out a different name (even though she later claimed she was calling my name). After waiting for half an hour, I went up to her and asked her when my appointment would be, and she said she had already called out my name. Since I didn’t respond, she striked my name off, and now I’d have to wait again. I was so exasperated by her response that I just left and told her I’d book another appointment. All this, while I was pregnant, warn you.
Thirdly: I told the doctor I first saw that I would not want to keep changing the doctors that saw me, even if they were busy, I’d only schedule appointments when they were available, But this was seldom the case. The same doctor who told me he would be available for the next appointment would not show. The replacements would make excuses for him, but this was unacceptable.
Fourthly: Okay, fine that you can’t make it for an appointment. Do NOT leave me with a student doctor, especially when I am pregnant and have come in for a yeast infection! I am not comfortable with student doctors, I’m sorry to have to say this so bluntly, but it’s the truth. They are very inexperienced and that will not work for me. In fact, the first time around, they didn’t even notice the infection, even after taking tests and everything. The second time, it was clearly visible outside the region as well, so I went back. This time the doctor was there and after the tests, he said that it was in fact, a yeast infection. And that the student doctors were not to blame, I was supposed to shower before coming in for the appointment for the cultures to show the infection. I was like, “EXCUSE ME?” That is no way to talk to a patient, especially a lady patient.
Fifthly: I gained a lot of weight during my pregnancy, almost 50 lbs and I thought this was normal. However, it was not, and considering I am just under 40 years of age, this meant complications. But at no point did any of the staff or student doctors tell me that this could lead to further complications. In fact, they didn’t even tell me I had high blood pressure, pre eclampsia… nothing. They also didn’t give me any information about my baby, except for the heartbeat. Basically towards the end, all hell broke loose. They waited until then to call the OB staff at Penn who then proceeded to an emergency C-section, without which the baby may have been lost. I found out later that the infection went into my system and infected the amniotic fluid. Rest assured, that if anything happened to my baby, I would sue the entire hospital if I had to. But thankfully it never came to that.
Lastly, my baby girl was born with no issues, and while I thank the brave OB doctors, I would never return to the OB/GYN care facility at PH. They have done more than enough to possibly ruin my first delivery.

Rafael

Rafael

I’ve been to this hospital thrice in the past year, but can’t complain. Their healthcare is really good, the staff is even better, and it’s super close to my house, so it’s gold. Even though it’s the only hospital I’ve been to in the city, I have grown to like it a lot.