High Cost Overlook Medical Center (Summit, NJ) Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Overlook Medical Center located in 99 BEAUVOIR AVENUE - Summit, NJ. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
99 BEAUVOIR AVENUE
City
SUMMIT
State
NJ
ZIP Code
County
UNION
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Other
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
1%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
349 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
59%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
9%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
14.2%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
10.4%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
13.7%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
7.8%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
17.6%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
2.6%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Abdominal Hysterectomy
Hospital Acquired Central Line Blood Infection Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
C

Charlene

Was scared shitless about my surgery at Overlook medical, a hospital I’d never been to before. The 4 night stay before the surgery confirmed that I had nothing to worry about. Everyone was very attentive and the surgery was a success. Recovery is coming along just fine. Overall, impressed.

A

ashton

Brought my 7-year-old daughter here two weeks ago for a checkup. She was having some breathing issues at night. They were very nice to her, all went well. She had to come in 2 days after for a medical procedure, that too went well, they asked us to come back in in a week to check up on her. But unfortunately something went horribly wrong, she probably reacted to the anesthesia or something but everything went downhill from there.

Later on I found out that it was a tiny error on Overlook Medical’s part. They apologized to me and everything, but never coming back here again. Hospitals should never make such mistakes, especially on small children. I’ve never been so scared in my entire life and my baby girl is still hanging in there. If anything happens to her….

S

sophie-perry

OMC is supposed to be one of the good ones- or so I thought. My 70 year old father in law, who has kidney failure, BTW was treated like absolute rubbish at this hospital. The worst part? No one seemed to care when I complained. Making sure that I never come back here and spread the word to all my dear and near ones. Stay away from this disgusting hospital. No regard for human life, whatsoever.

P

Padraig

This hospital has a bunch of angels working for them. They have zero complaints, work very long hours and still have smiles on their faces at the end of the day, something I found a tad bit unsettling. As a retired doctor myself, I don’t ever recall seeing a smiling doctor or nurse, let alone every single employee looking like they're on dope 24x7.

Saving lives and all that is great, but the greatest pleasure I ever got at a hospital was solving a very difficult or confusing case. I had good old cancer, something I was very aware of from the beginning, and told them, just in case they had intentions of misdiagnosing me.

Let me give you a little background: I was the chief of medicine at a big hospital in NYC (prefer not to say it here)- retired 4 years ago and have been living with my daughter in NJ. Even though it was a massive adjustment, I finally began adapting to it when my cancer started acting up again. I was adamant on shifting back to NYC and going back to my old hospital. Was so sure about my plan before my daughter put her foot down and insisted I stay with her so she could keep an eye on me.

My lung cancer had gotten worse due to my excessive smoking. Anyway, I’m glad I decided to stick around. There’s just something very different about hospitals here, something that makes a patient feel safe. It’s weird calling myself a patient after being the “superhero doc” for over 35 years, but hey that’s life for you.

After I came to Overlook it was the first time in years that I could take a breather and just talk to a nurse about the weather. In NYC, there’s no hospital that will engage in casual conversation, everyone is just so darned busy with the grind. If you ask me, there is a huge difference in the way a patient is treated here and as someone who has had a slice of both, I know for a fact that it’s best to have it done from a place that actually cares about the patients, and not just their piggybanks.

If ever in New Jersey and you need a good place for cancer treatment, I would recommend Overlook without any hesitation because they took amazing care of me. Didn’t act judgmental at all, the doctors were all kind and professional, the nurses were very engaging and I ended up friending three of them on Facebook. All I can say for certain is that, I’m glad I didn’t go back to my old hospital.

S

serafina1982

As a hardcore Brooklyner I can say that this was hands down, the worst ER experience I’ve ever had in my life. And I come from Brooklyn, a place that is known for hospital mishaps. First of all, they barely have any employees- at night, it’s just a bunch of nurses so if anything happens, there’s no one there to take care of you. Pitifully understaffed, don’t understand how that is acceptable in a hospital, but whatever. The state of hospital care in New Jersey is a joke. Pretty upsetting too.

W

WiNdSoR

Very sweet, amiable, and good staff. Brought my wife in late at night the day before and everyone was super nice. The ER staff especially make sure you’re not freaking out, they know exactly how to deal with the family of the patients- something I think is extremely crucial in crunch moments such as these. Very thankful.

N

Nadiya

Have been walking in and out of Overlook for so many years now, and if you ask me what my overall opnion is, I’d had to say mixed. Have had some bittersweet moments at this hospital, no doubt about that. The hospital in itself is quite decent, the facilities are subpar and the people working here are amazing.

But I’ve had various issues with different people in many departments, they don’t seem to have a proper flow of communication, that’s the first flaw. Like, after a lab test or something, I’ll be waiting for my results when the receptionist will ask me for my urine sample. After I explain to her that I’d already submitted it an hour ago, she says, “shoot”, and runs downstairs- leaving me in the dark for another hour.

Have had to wait for many hours like this in various waiting rooms but I guess it’s worth it in the long run. Developing a healthy relationship with a hospital is important I’ve always felt. Besides, what hospital is perfect? Plus, now that I’ve been coming here for years, I no longer have to pay for parking- yep, there are such benefits that come with being faithful to one hospital. Hehe.

J

Josette

My sister was diagnosed with cancer last year and when I had a cancer scare myself, I decided it was best to have it checked out. The oncology department at OMC is great. They have state of the art equipment so you don’t have to worry about not understanding what they say .That’s another thing- they don’t just throw random, big medical terms in your face. Everything is explained meticulously. Impressed with the work here.