Nyc Health + Hospitals/Metropolitan New York) Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Nyc Health + Hospitals/Metropolitan located in 1901 FIRST AVENUE - New York, NY. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
1901 FIRST AVENUE
City
NEW YORK
State
NY
ZIP Code
County
NEW YORK
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Government - Local
Emergency Department Volume
high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
61 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
3%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
12 minutes
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
60 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
462 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
53%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
11%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
12.9%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
10.5%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
8.2%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
14.9%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
April

April

Even though I did my residency from here, I’d been going elsewhere- other parts in Manhattan because I’d seen the way patients were treated in general here, and what can I say, it just wasn’t my jam. I always thought there was an element lacking here, but I was proved wrong when I had to be rushed here 2 years ago.

Went to the ER and even though I wasn’t crazy about the doctor here, I thought the staff was nice, the halls were clean and everything was conducted in a rather timely fashion. This piqued my curiosity and I decided to take the risk of consulting with an OB when I got pregnant with my son a year ago. Even though my husband said that I should go somewhere I was a 100% confident about, I figured what better place than the place where I did my residency.

After all, the chief of medicine was kind of my mentor, so I figured I’d score some brownie points that way.

Turns out he’d retired (lol) but either way, I got in touch with a very nice OB. She took excellent care of me, laid out all the details I had to be aware of, and even though it was a risky pregnancy, to begin with, she was able to successfully deliver it. Not only was the L&D procedure super smooth, but the lactation unit and even postpartum help that I received at this practice were also amazing. So much that I recommended it to my close family and friends; my sister also ended up giving birth here with the help of Mrs. Myers later on that year.

But the story doesn’t end there. My son is now 2 months old and has some breathing issues at night. We have rushed to the Er twice already and my son was taken care of instantly- we never had to wait around. This, of course, is probably because this practice is not half as rushed as other practices, like Lenox Hill, where I used to go before.

I’d easily have to wait for 1-2 hours at least if I had gone to the ER there. Not only that, but the doctors and medical staff there know me, so we do end up getting special treatment. My point is that they take excellent care of you and your loved ones. They are the only hospital in East Harlem that I trust with my life and recommend with no reservations.

N

ny76

Even though a few of my family members have badmouthed metropolitan to me in the past, when I had an emergency, they were very nice and helpful. Not just the staff, but the doctors- they were super polite where they didn’t need to be.

declan

declan

Why do I come here? Well, it’s simple; it’s almost like Met (as we like to call it) has been part of our family for decades. I was actually born here, as were my siblings and my grandfather passed away here too. My sister recently gave birth here too, so you could say that it has served generations in my family, and has always been super loyal with regard to our healthcare. I am familiar with many of the doctors here, so trust me when I say, their only intention is to heal the sick, and they stay back days together just to see that happen. Of course, there are some people who are irritable, but all in all, a great hospital.

silver

silver

Would. Not. Recommend.

Metropolitan is probably one of the worst hospitals I’ve been to, not just in East Harlem but all around the world. They have zero shame in making you run around, and all in vain. I remember when my wife had fallen and broken her rib, they asked us to wait in the ER waiting room for over 3 hours, while, mind you, my poor wife felt like she was going to die. But okay, I get that there’s the whole triage scenario, so I’ll let that slide. But when we went there, they asked us to come back on Saturday.

When I told them I was working on Saturday, they looked at me like I had accused them of a crime. Finally, I agreed to bring my wife on Saturday and when we did actually show up (I took an off for this), they sent us back, saying that weekends were only for senior citizens. Oh, I’m sorry, do we look super old to you, weirdo receptionist with zero brains? I’m not one to lose my temper at public places but even I felt rage boil up inside of me. This is NO way to treat patients, especially with broken bones.

I left there in a jiffy, claiming never to set foot in that hospital again, but clearly my poor wife needed medical attention and quickly at that. A few pills was not going to do for her. So I bit the bullet and took her back to Metropolitan on Monday and this time, the annoying receptionist and arrogant doctor were not there; the staff was nicer, the doctor was a little gentler, but I’d made up my mind. Even if they gave us cotton candy at the end of it, I knew I was never going to set foot in here again, and I stand by my statement.

...You know, it’s pretty unfortunate how one person can ruin a potentially good hospital for you.

W

wasp

Is it rude to call this place a dump? They are so untidy, constantly understaffed (which seems to be their only excuse when you complain about the service) and in one word, an embarrassment to New York, no doubt.

cc

cc

I will agree that this place is massively understaffed almost all around the year. But one thing I don’t agree with many reviews is that they are not nice. I beg to differ, because when I was in as an outpatient for just 2 days, I’d made friends with 5 nurses and 2 doctors, they’d joke around with me and say I was like the baby of the hospital. Not only super friendly, but their work ethic was admirable. Nothing came before work.

Also, the other thing I love about this place is that its filled with residents and student doctors. So you don’t even feel like you’re at a hospital, it’s like you’re chilling at a friend’s place. For a public hospital that is clearly not making too much money, I would say that they are doing the best they can with what limited resources they have. I will definitely not complain.