PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Nyc Health + Hospitals Elmhurst Center located in 79-01 BROADWAY - Elmhurst, NY. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
79-01 BROADWAY
City
ELMHURST
State
NY
ZIP Code
County
QUEENS
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Government - Local
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
78 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
5%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
13 minutes
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
25 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
719 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
2.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
56%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
14%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
12.7%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
9.5%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
15.4%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
7.9%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
16.8%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
B

Blissy

When my sister had to be taken to the ER, the EMT took her to NYC Health + Hospitals in Elmhurst. I’d never been here before or heard anything about it but once there I realized it was decent: good staff on board and the physician was very attentive and explained everything to me in a calm, comforting manner.

kiara

kiara

NYC Health, Elmhurst has a lot of good doctors and nurses and medical staff in general, but there are a few things you need to know if you’re going to get admitted here (or even worse, the ER). First of all, be prepared to wait for an eternity. Sometimes they make you wait for over 10 hours (which they basically made my uncle do when he was brought into the ER for surgery).

We had no choice but to wait with him and watch him suffer through the 10 hours. Not like we had another choice, most PCPs don’t have the equipment or facilities to treat severe conditions only hospitals can. Which is a real shame. Secondly, waiting in the emergency room is literally like spending a night in jail. Patients around you are constantly screaming out in pain and I don’t know how my uncle got any shut eye that night.

I’m not blaming the nurses because they really held their s**t together through one dreadful night.
Pro tip: NEVER go to Elmhurst alone if you’re the patient. My heart goes out to all those who have to do it alone, but even if you’re alone, grab your neighbor or something. It is the worst to wait in really long lines, and to do it all alone…

KarINA

KarINA

There is so much that I have to say about NYC Health + Hospitals, and honestly I’ve been waiting for myself to cool down a little so this review doesn’t come out a 100% negative, but I’ve waited too long. Let me start from the beginning (caution: this review may drag a little).
I was part of a very scary car accident that caused multiple lacerations across my body. Long story short, it was a freak show and the ambulance took me to Elmhurst, a decision I wish I could change now, looking back. But being the number 1 center for trauma care, they figured my condition could be better treated by them. Little did they know…

Anyway, I was laid in the Emergency Room, “prepping” for surgery even though that didn’t take very long and had to wait in line for surgery for over 5 hours. That was 5 hours of me almost bleeding to death with an IV drip keeping me alive and antibiotics to keep me from passing out from the pain, which wasn’t very effective, to be honest. I remember those 5 hours being the most excruciating pain I’d ever felt in my life, and I really didn’t think I’d make it.

While in the emergency room, still waiting for my turn for surgery, there were a few nurses that were just about finishing up their shift. Two of them were extremely nice, attentive and genuinely cared about my condition. One of them, Sheila, was the one who told me that I was waiting because at Elmhurst emergencies were treated based on the severity of the wound, and my condition was more stable than some others, which was why I was waiting. I appreciated her honesty, and she told me I didn’t have to wait for long. Then her shift ended, so she parted.

But then…the next shift of nurses came in and were really disrespectful, in that they were making jokes about each other’s husbands and didn’t seem to care that I was holding onto life by a mere thread. When I was extremely parched, I tried calling out for one of them to fetch me some ice chips, but of course, my feeble cry was masked by their obnoxious laughter and cackling, and I had to endure that for 2 and a half hours. It literally felt like I was in hell.

I didn’t even realize when I’d closed my eyes and started weeping silently, not willing to disturb anyone. But then one of the nurses came to check on me and had the most annoying expression across her face. She looked at me crying and asked, “Why are you crying now?” My jaw almost fell from my face; I am not used to people being so rude to me, and I don’t normally act rude to others but I knew all that time that I’d get my revenge while writing this review. Her name was Jennifer too, I remember.

I don’t even remember when I finally got into surgery, and thankfully the group of doctors and surgeons were not rude. They eased me into sleep and were able to fix my broken skin. But one thing I will never forget is how mannerlessly that second group of nurses were. I really hope that this review opens some eyes of those nurses, and they learn that being a nurse means being compassionate and caring about the patients, especially when they are in a very vulnerable state. That’s all. I give this hospital a 1-star rating because I survived, but the least rating because of the nurses. Good day.

E

ebull

Someone reported this place as “closed”- not sure if it ever was, but this is a mistake. I was checked into the ER on the 14th of March and inpatient services are also open. Even though I don’t usually like public hospitals, I thought the service was decent here. They have a really good staff of caring employees who keep coming back every couple of minutes to check on you. I had the sweetest nurse attending who smiled every time she passed me. Very knowledgeable and reassuring medical staff.

D

daphne

I remember hearing about NYC Health in Elmhurst through my aunt (because she worked there) and she often told me nightmarish stories about the staff. I know for a fact that Elmhurst endured a lot of bad press over the years, especially back in ’85 when it was dubbed one of the worst hospitals in NY.

So when I learned that the EMT had taken me to Elmhurst, I felt like my end was nearing… but they’ve changed. Ever since they became affiliated with Mt. Sinai, they have upgraded their trauma and emergency center, added a lot of rooms, floors, a massive parking lot. It looks nothing like when I used to tag along with my aunty 10 years ago. I was shocked
Plus, I can’t explain how helpful the staff was- nothing like the stories my aunt had told me about. Honestly, it was a breath of fresh air.

dunderhead

dunderhead

The one thing that gets my goat is not being informed, especially when a loved one is in a questionable state. My sister had to get admitted as an inpatient at this hospital a couple weeks ago and somehow the staff never seemed to warm up to me, even though I was there every other day. They never answered my questions directly and even the doctor seemed to be beating around the bush.