Top Heart Hospital Low Cost Mercy Medical Center (Des Moines, IA) Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Mercy Medical Center located in 1111 6TH AVE - Des Moines, IA. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
1111 6TH AVE
City
DES MOINES
State
IA
ZIP Code
County
POLK
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
29 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
2%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
37 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
291 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
59%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
8%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
12.3%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
13.5%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
2.8%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
14.2%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
9.1%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
16.2%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
2.8%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Abdominal Hysterectomy
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly lesser than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
L

lance

I have heard a lot about this hospital from my parents and trust me after hearing those stories, one would never want to step into a hospital like that. But under a few circumstances I had to take my husband to Mercy hospital. The changes I experienced took me by surprise.

Overall, the hospital had undergone a drastic change. The registration staff were polite and friendly. The doctor took time out from his schedule to make my husband feel comfortable and the nursing staff were organized and synonymous to angels on earth.

The hospital administration ensured that I met every single person who was responsible for taking care of my husband during the surgery and even later. So, there was absolutely no confusion in my mind regarding my points of contact.

Meanwhile, while I was waiting for a few procedures to get over, I even visited the hospital gift shop. It had some good curios and I bought a few for home as well. When everything was over, a nurse promptly came up to me to inform that I could now meet my husband.

Overall, I had a good experience here and I no more have second thoughts of coming to this hospital. It is a great place if one has to be in a hospital.

sullivan

sullivan

I gave birth to my baby here. Since it was my first pregnancy, I was having a tough time coping with things and at the same time, I was giving a real hard time to others around me as well. But the nurses and my doctor took care of my baby and me in a very professional manner.

Every single staff who I happened to interact with turned out to be fantastic and I really appreciate that they put up with my mood swings while I was in labor and for every tantrum I threw at them they just returned smiles to me and made sure that I was comfortable at all times.

Now, when I look back, I feel bad for the way I treated them. But they were patient enough to handle me.
I would definitely recommend this place at least to every woman who is pregnant. I guarantee that you will be very well taken care of.

L

Linda

No doubt the hospital has good facilities and a good team of doctors and nurses but one thing they completely lack is hygiene. Not just once, every time I visit the hospital, I see at least one cockroach desperately trying to run from one place to the other.

The scenario is worse in the cafeteria. The place is so gross and the food is inedible too. I don’t know how hospital authorities can turn a blind eye towards such things. The most important aspect for a healthy environment is hygiene. Nothing good can happen that too in a hospital, if the place is not kept hygienic.

mnemonic

mnemonic

I was visiting my sister and during the course of my visit to her place, I got a chance to visit this hospital too because I brought my sis into this place for one of her routine check ups. The moment I walked into the hospital, I was in love with the place. The waiting lobby resembled a plush hotel than a hospital.

The staff were well behaved and I loved the way they were taking care of my sister. I was even pleasantly surprised when they came over to me just to ask if I was comfortable and if I needed something. I went around the place and I instantly knew why my sister had chosen this place for giving birth to her first baby; after all they had state of the art facilities, especially an extraordinary Neonatal care unit.

I loved the ambiance, I loved the staff, I loved the facilities and I loved the whole place in total. When I decide to have a baby, I am definitely coming down to my sister’s so that I can deliver at Mercy’s.

V

voxel

Negative reviews were all I heard about this place till a few years ago. But now, things have changed for the better. I dunno what exactly changed but the place no bears no resemblance to what I heard about it previously.

The hospital campus is sprawling and a very beautiful facility with enough seating capacity all over. And the hospital staff are wonderful people who go lengths to ensure that you feel comfortable. Then comes the doctors; each one of them who I happened to interact with were compassionate human beings with good subject knowledge.

Overall, I have a remarkable impression of the place and I will keep coming back here to sort out all my medical issues.

Q

quinzee

I have visited this place a number of times; at times to visit friends or family, at times as an out patient, twice as an in patient and a few other times to visit new born babies. Every time I come here, I get very good vibes from this place, which is usually highly unlikely in case of a hospital.

I love the attitude of the staff who work here. They are polite, empathetic and friendly at the same time. If one has to wait for a longer duration of time because of some reason, the staff ensure that you are made comfortable as you wait. Thrice, I have even come to the ER of this hospital, once when I accidently cut myself and twice when my family members developed sudden health issues; the ER staff make sure that they attend to you as soon as possible. I remember the time when I was brought in to the ER. It was full, so I had to wait. But meanwhile, a nurse came running to me to give some basic first aid.

What I loved the most from my visits to this place is their maternity rooms; they are huge and spacious and there is enough scope for sunlight and fresh air to come in. As I mentioned previously, a very positive hospital. I would have give it 5/5 if the place had very good parking facilities too. There are lots but since they are not huge enough to cater to the needs of the hospital and the parking lots are a little far away. So, one has to walk at least 400m to reach the hospital entrance from the parking lot.