PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Lowell General Hospital located in 295 VARNUM AVENUE - Lowell, MA. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
295 VARNUM AVENUE
City
LOWELL
State
MA
ZIP Code
County
MIDDLESEX
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
69 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
5%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
0 minutes
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
72 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
485 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
66%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
7%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
12.1%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
11.8%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
13.5%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
6.1%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Significantly better than National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
14.7%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
1.8%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Significantly netter than the National Rate
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly lesser than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
D

Dewy

The front desk receptionist at Lowell was so helpful. Even though the triage system is pretty strong in almost all hospitals if you ask them they will tell you the less rushy hours. I had come in at 1 in the morning for a horrible pain in my neck but they said that I’d have to wait a while (almost 2-3 hours). I asked when the rush would die down and she told me exactly when (I’m not telling you guys). One thing that would be helpful is posting waiting times online so that patients don’t have to go all the way and wait around for hours on end. No one liked waiting, after all.

S

SexyThing

One area I think LGH could use some improvement is the ER waiting room. Had come here last week with my wife for a medical procedure. We had booked an appointment ahead of time so we didn’t have to wait for too long in the waiting room, which by the way was pretty icky. So the receptionist said we could go inside after waiting for 20 minutes. After we went inside, they asked us to sit down in an empty room with a bed and TV and said that the doctor would join us in some time.

The doctor came in and examined my wife. He said some tests needed to be ran. Everything required for that was done before he asked us to wait outside for the results. We went back outside and waited for 2.5 hours before we got any response. The doctor then said that she needed to be taken into ER surgery. This was a little bit of a shock to us, and he asked if she could get admitted for the night. Now my wife is a manager at her firm with a lot of responsibilities.

She sort of zoned out when he used the word “surgery” and when the doctor realized this he snapped his finger in front of her as though to bring her back to reality. This was a little rude. As a doctor he should know that a patient who hears suddenly that they need to undergo surgery is entitled to feel a little spaced out. Anyway my wife said that if it was absolutely necessary to be conducted that day she was okay with it. I was cool with whatever she wanted.

He then asked us to wait outside again because he needed permission from the attending at the ER. We ended up waiting for another 2-3 hours for this. After we got the green signal from that doctor and only then was my wife called back inside and prepped for surgery after being given some medication for the pain.

Essentially, my poor wife had to go through that pain for more than 6 hours before actually finding out what was wrong with her. This is a lot of time . Thinking about every other patient who has to go through this… you must come up with a system to minimize this wait time or get more staff.

Faelyn

Faelyn

The service here surprised me. We waited for over 2 hours and then I finally went up to the nurse and asked her about my appointment. She said she forgot. No apologies, nothing. This really annoyed me so I left. But they actually called me later (I had filled out a form with my number) and said they’d arrange a special appointment for me where I wouldn’t have to wait. It’s the little things like this that make my day.

Sparkle

Sparkle

I think one of the scariest hospital experiences I’ve had was at the Trauma center at LGH. I am a nursing student and had come to Lowell for some experience. But I ended up leaving after just 3 months of working because of how alarming the medical care was here. Whatever happened to quality health care? America was once such a great place for medical treatments, but I can hardly say that statement holds true today.

From the beginning, the head nurse and RNs were very rude , not just to me, but to the patients. One of them asked a patient to come inside and started interrogating them. Where I come from, when you have a conversation with ANYONE you’re supposed to be poised and polite. Especially nurses, since they are working with patients.

Customer service is key for us. But when they are away from patients, they are very chatty and always gossiping about cute doctors and whatnot. Such a stereotypical sight, I’d never seen in my life before. I stuck around for another 2 months and then I was out of there.

T

tigger

Wish there was someone who would discuss the insurance details with me but I didn’t see anyone. Otherwise all services were good, enjoyed it.

L

Laura

First of all, to all the new mothers in the house- KUDOS. I have been a mother for less than 4 months now and it is pretty frightening. She has been having some issues breathing, I feel so I had to bring her in to Lowell urgently. The staff were so understanding, and asked me to relax, even though I was beginning to feel like a pretty crappy mother.

She was admitted quickly and I have to say that the pediatrics unit at LGH is amazeballs. I have complete faith in the nurses at this practice because they took amazing care of my baby girl and bonded with her for life. I remember bawling like a baby at one of the nurses and she was so understanding and acted like the perfect shoulder to cry on. Love this place to bits.

Valleygirl

Valleygirl

There’s something horrifying about the LGH ER. I was waiting with my teenage child for her appointment when I realized how dingy and inappropriate the waiting room is. I thought we had it bad…

There were some people standing up because there weren’t enough seats. One of them was coughing up phlegm or blood, I couldn’t tell but it was liquid. He spat it into his handkerchief. But this didn’t seem healthy to be next to. On the other side there was this old couple, easily in their 80s with no one else with them. They held each other’s hands and had their eyes closed the whole time. Another man walked up to the desk to remind the receptionist about him and he fell. The receptionist didn’t seem too alarmed by it. There was a man on a wheelchair who was sleeping, using his palm as a pillow. His head kept sliding off and I feared he would injure his neck.

Safe to say that it was a pretty scary sight altogether. There was barely any space, it was quite cold and there was no source of entertainment but some really sad music playing in the background. I wanted to get out of there as soon as I could.

S

schultz

This is THE place to go if you have a broken leg (trust me on this). They will cover you up without making you feel uneasy, they will make jokes to take your mind off the pain and even sit with you and talk like you’re childhood friends. Seriously recommend this place to all the broken-boned.