Top Ortho Hospital Low Cost Lawrence & Memorial Hospital (New London, CT) Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Lawrence And Memorial Hospital located in 365 MONTAUK AVE - New London, CT. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
365 MONTAUK AVE
City
NEW LONDON
State
CT
ZIP Code
County
NEW LONDON
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
29 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
1%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
7 minutes
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
57 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
310 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
65%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
9%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
12.5%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
12.3%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
13%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
9.4%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
17.1%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
2.2%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly lesser than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
R

rachit

I was involved in a hit-and-run accident on July 27 last year while on the way to my house. An ambulance came, and when I complained of severe headache, neck pain, and right knee pain, I was taken to the nearest hospital which was Lawrence and Memorial Hospital. To be honest, I was kicking myself for telling the paramedics the entire truth. I had to lie on a fucking stretcher in a neck brace for nearly four hours before a doctor came and saw me. After telling him all my concerns, he orders a scan of my neck but does not say anything about headache and right knee. The scans took an eternity to complete, and it took another eternity to get discharged. Oh, BTW I had wonderful company of people reeking of alcohol while waiting for the doctor.

Needless to say, I visited another hospital where the concerned doctor took scans of all three areas and prescribed painkillers, collar, and RICE.

TheStark

TheStark

I had heard some bad things about this hospital and was somewhat apprehensive when I had to visit the ER for an emergency. I did not face any issues at this hospital ER. I was checked in quickly and was seen by the doctor within a matter of minutes. Everyone whom I interacted with was very friendly and helpful. They were very professional. My ER visit lasted an hour, and I left the hospital very satisfied.

Arturo Denti

Arturo Denti

Lawrence and Memorial is a mixed bag. It has a great medical team who does their level best to help a patient only to be let down by the worst customer service that one could ever come across.

I had called the hospital to get some information about a relative who was admitted in a critical condition. No one answered the call the first time. Tried calling again and was given a very short answer which was not to my satisfaction. Called again, this time the call was received by a rep who could not stop laughing. She just put me on hold for nearly 30 minutes to check if my relative was still at this hospital — rude and condescending behavior.

On second thoughts, I would not say it is a mixed bag; it is terrible…something which even the wonderful medical team could not pull through.

bl0p

bl0p

I am really surprised by the number of negative reviews that this hospital has garnered on the various forums. I have visited this hospital quite a few times, and I have never faced any issue. Lawrence and Memorial Hospital is great...they were great whenever my family or I went to get emergency treatment. I would definitely be back at this hospital in case of any medical needs.

N

NoviceLearner

A hospital becomes great when the management understands, listens, and acts on the requirements of the staff. L+M hospital is good but could do much better. My sister was admitted to the 5th floor in this hospital. She had one of the awful hospital experiences. One day, she had unmanageable pain and was pressing the call button continuously for some help, but no one showed. After waiting for some time, I decided to go in search of a nurse. While searching for a nurse, it dawned upon me how understaffed the hospital is. The nurses are very helpful and great, but there is a limit to how much they could stretch themselves. It can affect the patient quality of care. The management will do a world of good if they address this issue.

While they address this issue, they should also get a new doctor. The one who saw my sister had one of the worst bedside manners and seemed least bothered about treating her.

Thankfully, my sister recovered quickly and was discharged. While taking her back home; I had only one prayer on my lips, “God, please do not get me admitted to this hospital.”

N

nayadaur

I have read a lot of negative reviews about this hospital on various forums. I can understand that people have not got what they deserved, but it does not look good if you diss the whole hospital for it. My family and friends have been a regular at this hospital, and we have always been treated well. A friend of mine was admitted to this hospital. She was in her last stages due to complications from ESRD. They took good care of her. They tended to all her needs and took good care of her until her discharge.

I visited her quite often and always found this hospital to be squeaky clean. The staff was helpful and paid great attention to small details. The time I spent there, I realized how hardworking these people were. Yes, I would not hesitate to admit that there are few rotten apples in this hospital, but it is very less compared to other hospitals. Every single member whom I interacted with were great and ever-smiling and ready to go beyond the call of duty to help their patients. I would like to visit this hospital in case I need any medical intervention.

E

EDChallenger

I do not have any idea about other departments or ER or staff members, but I can vouch for the staff at maternity. My wife received excellent care at L+M Hospital’s maternity ward. We had an hiccup-free delivery, and the wonderful staff ensured that both the mother and child were comfortable and doing well. They never gave us a chance to complain. Thank You!!!!