PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Kings County Hospital Center located in 451 CLARKSON AVENUE - Brooklyn, NY. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
451 CLARKSON AVENUE
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
ZIP Code
County
KINGS
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Government - Local
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
82 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
5%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
16 minutes
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
43 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
797 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
1.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
42%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
17%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
12.9%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
10.9%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
12.6%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
7.3%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
15.7%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
Significantly less than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly less than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
R

rylan

A few things to say about Kings county. Brace yourself, it’s going to be long and harsh:
  • Most people come here only if they do not have insurance, which is fine. But what I don’t like is how the staff (like nurses, secretaries, etc.) just assume that you’ve gone there only because of this reason. They also therefore expect you to be okay with whatever crappy service they throw your way. Not cool. Also, if you do have insurance, you’d be better off at SUNY, which is right across from Kings County
  • They make you wait for a really long time. Especially if you’re in for the ER, then good luck is all I can say. I had to be rushed in for a fracture, and was on a stretcher for God knows how long. In fact, they laid me down and then disappeared. It was like I was in the middle of a very busy road filled with moving vehicles. People kept bumping into my stretcher and walking away. There were even mentally challenged people walking about here and there. I closed my eyes and hoped I didn’t die right then and there.
  • I wouldn’t say that my experience was terrible. My doctor assigned to me was extremely cordial. She cracked jokes so I wouldn’t feel the pain and was genuinely concerned about my well-being. But she was in and out in 10 minutes and the rest of my interactions were with the other medical staff.
  • Here comes the nightmare: the follow-ups. If you have the option, don’t go. It’s as good as staying at home and doing nothing. I had to go for three consecutive follow ups and they were all as bad as the previous ones. Basically this place is an organizational nightmare. The first follow up which was supposed to be an hour took me 5 hours before I got back home. Not only that, there was no progress from my previous condition. They asked me to come back so they could check my condition, and when they saw no improvement, they said, “hmm, we should still wait it out.” I waited it out and when the condition seemed to worsen, I went back. They said “hmm, maybe you will need surgery”. So I say “okay, when?” And they go, “hmm, let’s wait it out for now.” Later on they told me that there was an opening for surgery in 2 months. I literally fled from that place, knowing that my life was NOT in good hands.
I sincerely hope you don’t have to go through an experience like this in your life ever.

Thank you,

Rylan

A

amir

This is going to be a very balanced review: I know many people have good reviews, some have bad. All I am going to say is: know your rights.

K

Kiley

Long wait times, rude staff and generally horrible treatment for patients. The doctors are not respectful, they will just sit in their chairs all day. And the doctor’s lounge is filthy. I felt disgusted to think my hubby was getting treated here. Honestly, a hospital is the last place you’d expect to be unsanitary to a point where there’s no turning back. A suggestion would be to reduce the waiting times, please. I wouldn’t come into the ER if it wasn’t actually an “emergency”.

N

NATALEE

I want to give the doctors a 5 star rating because they are all very helpful and caring. The emergency hall is filled with people, literally looks like a jar of sardines but even through that, the doctors do the best they can and I appreciate them.

Jordan_

Jordan_

Everyone takes the time to write out outrageous, mean posts about these hospitals but I am so thankful to Kings County, no matter how unhygienic people may think it is, it’s where my life was saved. I will be eternally grateful for that.

Additionally, while I was admitted for 3 weeks, that’s when I noticed how selfless the doctors and team of nurses had to be in real life to live up with these kinds of conditions. In fact, the person to my right was not showing any progress, and I remember waking up one day to see the nurse attending crying bitterly at the corner for him. These are God’s workers and they are terribly unappreciated in today’s world. While we sit in A/C rooms, expecting super clean bathrooms with spotless floors, these people are on their feet, working 20 hour shifts, making sure people are alive and feeling better. The level of care and attention I received at this hospital was truly out of the world and I would particularly like to shout out to Nurse Robins for all her dedication and compassion towards the patients. I really wish I’d found out about this hospital sooner.

brody

brody

When I was 21, I had to go to Kings County for an emergency treatment and I hadn’t been until very recently again.

It pains me to see that not much has changed in the last few decades.

There is still a very long waiting time, between 3-5 hours at least. The place looks like a bazaar, with people running around with an assortment of ailments.

And I had actually come back a second day, because the first time the appointment couldn’t be met by the doctor (some emergency).

Either way, I noticed that the staff were very unprofessional and rude, to be honest, to the poor patients streaming in with a number of complaints. I get that you have long shifts, but no one asked you to choose this career.

If you’re in the medical field, you need to learn how to be compassionate to others.

BeAu

BeAu

Can you believe that this is one of the biggest hospitals in Brooklyn borough? I don’t particularly gravitate towards “big” hospitals—never truly understood the appeal. Either way, the one thing that surprised me is that there is no reliable public transportation to and fro. But whatever. What I can’t stand is the amount of waiting time at the location. It’s crazy. I remember the first time I went into the ER because of some serious teeth pain caused by unknown sources. I went in and checked myself in; the assistant said she would call my name shortly. I remember sitting in the waiting room of the emergency room for over an hour and a half and almost passed out from the pain. It’s one thing to say, “the doctor will see you in an hour.” But to get your hopes up by saying “shortly”… not cool.

Coolguy

Coolguy

Born and raised in Brooklyn, I know Kings County. Not because I’d been there a lot, but because it’s a name you get accustomed to hearing after a certain point. The only two other hospitals that are as popular are Methodist and Downstate. Either way, I am not bad mouthing Kings County in any way, my grandmother fell sick and was treated there for 2 weeks a couple years ago.
She did not have medical coverage, so that ruled out Methodist. We had to wait for a long time to get in, of course, the waiting lines are mad. But that’s because the service is good. The staff is overworked, after all, and still, my grandma received amazing care. It was as if God sent his angels to protect my grandma and she has come a long way over the years. Definitely A+ medical care with amazing doctors.