PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Howard University Hospital located in 2041 GEORGIA AVE NW - Washington, DC. Contains reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
2041 GEORGIA AVE NW
City
WASHINGTON
State
DC
ZIP Code
County
THE DISTRICT
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Other
Emergency Department Volume
high
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
2%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
360 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
1.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
45%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
23%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
13%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
8.9%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Somewhat better than National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
15.2%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
7.2%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
13.6%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Somewhat better than National Rate
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Hospital Acquired Central Line Blood Infection Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
TrAmAiNe

TrAmAiNe

One of worst hospitals you ever be to , nothing is good , not service , not looks, nothing. My wife was in ward 3 for a week and the nurses were so rude to her. Doctors also show up very late , she complains because of pain , and they show her chart asking her to rate her pain. They are not at all responsible for anything , if they are performing surgery and messed it up then also no responsibility , say its simply the fault of anesthesiologist. Not appreciating this , especially since new to the country , I don’t like to write bad reviews but our experience at Howard was very very bad , my wife feels worse then before and now we have nothing to do but suffer . Also for the doctors please smile a little and the nurses please go and get some rest you can work later . the hospital should be having a positive attitude otherwise the whole thing will be useless. Patients are the ones suffering already and over that now we have to suffer your faces also

12Miliana

Very disguisting facility to come to. It smells like urine around the clock and no housekeeping member will be around for you to question. The nurses and doctors claim it’s not their department, but to you I ask then: who’s department is it then? If you have to keep coming back to the hospital for results and stuff, then don’t even think about it. Very filthy place and you hear people cussing a lot. Staff are not cordial at all , they will try and give as minimalistic information as they possibly can. So there’s no helping vibes from anyone. If you come here, you better swim or sink, but you’re definitely on your own.

G

gianfranco

Excellent experience at Howard. Just came back from a small procedure and the nurses, doctors, staff members, technicians, and everyone that I ran into was friendly, polite, and wished me well. Quite the hospital experience I’d say. Informative and smart doctors.

RHYLEE

RHYLEE

How can a hospital be so #$@! I am just so annoyed right now after coming home with my sick husband whom I’d taken to Howard unfortunately because he was vomiting non stop. Turns out it was better to just leave him at home because Howard was the most irresponsible, most disgusting, most useless hospital I’ve ever seen in my life. If you value your life even a little bit you’ll stay far away from this hospital…

So my husband was feeling rough for a few days and I asked around where the best hospital was to take him to my colleagues. One of them suggested Howard, especially if it was an unconventional case. I don’t think non stop vomiting is unconventional but there was something strange about the way he described his pain. So I decided to take him to howard. Besides, figured it was a university hospital so it wouldn’t be too filled up. After all, a tonne of residents to do all the work . but this was not the case.

Got my husband in and when we went to the front desk there was no receptionist. There was a nurse sitting on another table which was probably the station for nurses so I went there and asked here where I could check in my husband. She glared at me and pointed at the sign that suggested she was a nurse and not a receptionist. I was annoyed and took my husband to sit down. The receptionist then slowly walked to her desk after lunc h I presume and I walked straight up to her before she got to her desk and asked to check my husband in. she took her sweet time ignoring me and getting comfortable on her desk. I was fuming at this point.

Once all was done and my husband was finally in, I stayed with him obviously. Somehow the nurses didn’t like me, but whatever, I’m used to women being threatened by me. But anytime my husband felt like puking or his eyes went super red I would press the call button. I knew they were playing with me because they would again take their sweet time to show up. I noticed later on that they were doing this only with us- prompt with the other patients. I asked a nurse what the issue was and she said nothing.

If it weren’t for my husband I would’ve given her an ear full but let it go. But here’s the thing. They’ve given him medication and what not but he still hasn’t recovered 100%!! He stopped the scary puking thank god but he still feels constantly pukish and very weak. He took off another 2 days off from work just to rest. When I asked the hospital they said it was the side effects of the pills and he’d be fine in a week. In a week!!!

J

just-ice

I hate hospitals that are not affiliated with universities because if you’ve noticed you have to wait longer for them. The best part about university hospitals is that the service is very fast. This is mostly because of the number of nursing students and interns there are . Also chances of many more volunteers being present in university hospitals is also rather high. So when I go to a private hospital when I sit in line for more than an hour or two, here it gets cut by half (at least).

25jayson

25jayson

Few things that are worth appreciating at this hospital:
  • The doctors are beyond thorough leaving no room for error. This was something I’d experienced at Sibley memorial, where they made two errors in my medical reports. Had to go running behind them to change it after that. But here they check everything thrice, very reassuring
  • The doctors spend quality time with the patients finding out more about the symptoms to really get to the bottom of the issue.