How long do antibiotics take to work

R

rubyclifton

Quick question: How long would it take for an antibiotic to start working?

I was diagnosed with a strep throat and prescribed amoxicillin 500 mg b.i.d. This is the second day, and I have completed four doses for strep, but I am still feeling bad, if not worse.

M

Miller100

Antibiotics have to start working immediately since their job is to kill the bacteria. It would kill the bacteria, but not resolve your symptoms. When bacteria is destroyed, then your symptoms will start easing up. Since you are suffering from strep throat, your throat might be very sore, and it would take some days to heal completely. If it persists, then ask your doctor to provide something for a sore throat.

V

Vivian007

It usually takes 24 to 72 hours for antibiotics to start showing its desired effects in your system. Since you started it only a few days ago, give it some more days, and you would start feeling better.

S

sandy

In ideal situations, an antibiotic would start showing results within 24 to 72 hours, but sometimes certain antibiotics do not work for certain people. I had taken antibiotics for a strep throat, but it just got worse. You should call the doctor if the antibiotic does not work and he might change the antibiotic to one that works for you. My GP did that, and I recovered from my strep.

T

turvell

Antibiotics start working right after one takes them. However, it is not necessary that you should feel better right away. You start feeling better after 48 to 72 hours, but this varies and is dependent on the dose of antibiotics as well as the type of infection that you are suffering from. IMHO, one needs to wait for a week to get completely better.

B

BigDaddy

If you feel run down even after two to three days of being on an antibiotic, then it is better that you talk with your GP. Your antibiotic might be changed. But make sure you stay well hydrated and take plenty of fluids and eat proper food. It will help your cause.

C

chocolate

Antibiotics would start working instantly, but the effect would start showing only after two to three days. To recover fully, I think one has to wait for nearly a week. But, it also depends on the dose. If you are prescribed a higher dose, then the symptoms would start dissipating quickly.

C

ClitYeastWood

You were feeling bad because your dosage might have been high. I hope you had talked with your doctor and tried a lower dose if things persisted. You might have to take it a day or two extra, but then you might not feel that bad.

R

Rambo

My two cents – one should avoid taking antibiotics for everything. Prolonged use of antibiotics can result in the development of antibiotic-resistant infections, and a person would end up taking a higher dose. Without even knowing, one can fall into a vicious cycle. For simple infections, just let the infection run its course. Amoxicillin should be taken as a last resort. But, if you take it, ensure that you complete the course to avoid any recurrence.