PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian located in ONE HOAG DRIVE - Newport Beach, CA. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
ONE HOAG DRIVE
City
NEWPORT BEACH
State
CA
ZIP Code
County
ORANGE
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
30 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
1%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
7 minutes
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
46 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
290 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
5.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
61%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
5%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
13.3%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
11.1%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
2.6%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
12.6%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
7.8%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
14.1%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Better than the National Rate
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Significantly better than the National Rate
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Abdominal Hysterectomy
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
A

acollectionofcells

This was my third delivery, so I was kind of used to the whole “labor scene” at hospitals. Got admitted on 3rd Feb for the early stages of labor and all the steps taken by the medical staff on call that day was admirable. The nurses and my doctor kept keeping tabs on me and the nurse was just too sweet. She kept poking her head into my room every couple of minutes and asked, “how’s all going?”

Munchkin

Munchkin

Successfully and happily delivered our baby girl on the 20th of Feb, 2019 and I couldn’t be happier. Service at this hospital was really good, can’t help but say that. There was a lot that I wish had gone differently during my stay here, but rest assured it wasn’t out of lack of trying by the medical staff. First of all, I booked this ocean view deluxe suite room, because I literally wanted the most comfortable experience while giving birth to my baby. Also the ocean sort of calms me down, so I figured the only way to do that in a hospital was get an ocean view room.

This was confirmed but then later on they told me that they’d give me the next best room, as the ocean view room and a few others in that line were undergoing renovation. This was a bit of a bust, but they gave me a garden view room which was pretty good. I have to mention the nurse, Betty (or so everyone else at the hospital called her). She was the most caring human being I’d ever met before that and she made sure that I was in my most comfortable state. For a new mother, I had a lot of anxiety and questions about what I was going to have to go through.

This was something Betty knew and she held my hand through it all. She even ran out every now and then and fetched me some ice chips, even though my husband did that too. She also told him that he was doing a great job, which a lot of times doesn’t happen- the husband is often neglected because of the pain the wife goes through. But I was happy about this, and needless to say, so was my husband. I would say that the “customer service” in this hospital is top notch. The doctors and other medical staff are ever ready to answer whatever questions you may have.

The only sad part was the recovery room. It was a little dingy and at the end of the line of rooms undergoing renovation, so there was a lot of disturbance. I don’t think I slept peacefully even for a second. But the next morning I complained about this to Betty and she had me switched to a (little) more peaceful room. They even offered post-partum therapy, which I definitely need. Glad I came here.

jameson85

jameson85

The waiting time here is alarming! Even people who come in for “genuine emergencies” are expected to wait an outrageous amount of time before they can even see the doctor. I came in yesterday and had to wait 5 hours- can you believe that? All while enduring an enormous amount of pain, so much that I thought I was going to pass out. After everything, they said they suspected that I may have a kidney stone, but couldn’t confirm it because they didn’t see it. They gave me pain killers and today my pain is even worse than yesterday. What kind of a hospital sends you back home with an increased amount of pain?

L

lorelai

There’s literally no other hospital like Hoag. Apart from the fact that it is plain gorgeous (yes, I may be a tad biased based on this), they make an inpatient feel very comfortable and at home. Even with a batch of 10 nurses, I had only one kind-of bad encounter with one of them. The rest were all very caring and one even reminded me a lot of my deceased mother. My sister gave birth to her first child here two months ago and she raved about the service here. We are basically a Hoag household now and there’s no intention of changing that.

M

Mate

The wife is expecting and when she had some trouble towards the beginning of the third trimester, we knew we had to get her checked in. Hoag Memorial was our safe haven and the doctors said that she needed to get admitted for supervision. At this time, my wife was given a lot of bad news, time and again, about the baby. I am a little stronger willed than she is, my wife is extremely sensitive. And of course, with the hormones going crazy, she was an absolute mess. I tried consoling her but there was little I could do. All she said was that I would never understand her pain.

Either way, I left for work that day and came back to see a completely changed wife. She was smiling and watching TV. I later found out that the nurse, Heidi, had talked to her. She is basically a superhero who works at Hoag, and her super power is the power of persuasion. I don’t even know what she said to my wife but she’s over the fear of losing the baby, or delivering it preterm. We will be back soon when she has to deliver and I really hope nurse Heidi will be there.

Gracelynn

Gracelynn

If I had the option I would go to literally any other hospital BUT this one. All I’m going to say is that they almost killed me by ignoring something very important in my charts. I think that speaks heaps in itself. Need I go on?

boondocks

boondocks

I’ve never seen another batch of doctors and nurses that gives so much respect to the patients. I’m more used to them talking to me like I’m a baby, or pretending like they are the only ones capable of making a mature decision about my treatment. But at Hoag, everything was different. I saw how compassionate the doctors were to their patients (not just me) and even more compassionate to the patients’ families.

The nurses here are all very young and sweet, they are smiling 24x7 but not in a fake “I have to do this because it’s part of my job” kind of way. It shows that they chose this profession solely to take care of people. With a positive attitude and an accommodating behavior, this hospital is definitely one of my favorites in the whole country. Appreciated everything they did for me and my family.

M

monsoon

I’ve been to many hospitals over the past 10 years due to many medical conditions snowballing, but I’d never quite seen an ER like the one at Hoag Newport. For starters they are very particular about cleanliness which is not the case for most hospitals in Cali. They have all the rooms and bathrooms cleaned on an alternative-day basis. How neat.