PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Helen Keller Memorial Hospital located in 1300 SOUTH MONTGOMERY AVENUE - Sheffield, AL. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
1300 SOUTH MONTGOMERY AVENUE
City
SHEFFIELD
State
AL
ZIP Code
County
COLBERT
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Government - Hospital District or Authority
Emergency Department Volume
high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
31 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
2%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
7 minutes
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
60 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
198 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
64%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
10%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
14.1%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
13.9%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
15.7%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
7.3%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
16.2%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
2.1%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
C

cam

I was scheduled for a rotator cuff surgery at Helen Keller Hospital, and since I was new to this town, I was very nervous. But hats off to the professionals at HKH who took great care of me. Every individual associated with my care went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. The surgery was successful, and the postoperative care was also very successful. The entire team, starting from the staff to the nurses to the surgeon, all were polite, knowledgeable and very friendly. Thanks, HKH for the wonderful hospital experience. I would recommend this wonderful hospital to my friends and family residing in Sheffield, AL.

desmond

desmond

I had gone to HKH for a minor procedure. Things went well, and I was discharged without any issues. I was very happy that things went smoothly. I got a rude shock when they charged my credit card for the payment, and I was reported to a collection service for clearance. I was both amused and irritated by this because I had made an upfront payment for the procedure IN CASH. When I went to argue with the hospital, the front desk attendants were very rude and refused to acknowledge the mistake. I had to threaten a lawsuit for instilling some sense into them. Finally, they agreed to their mistake and assured me that they would get in touch with the collection agency. I got a mark simply because of these dumbheads.

C

chunkslayer

My fiancee has a needle phobia, so any trip to the hospital ends with her either not taking an injection or leaving the hospital AMA due to the fear of being injected.

Last week, she had a slip-and-fall accident and had to undergo a minor procedure to put her shoulder back in place. This was easier said than done as her needle phobia took over and she was willing to bear pain rather than get injected. However, everything changed when we reached Hellen Keller Hospital. She was taken to the room within minutes, and everyone including the on-call ER doctor took measures to ensure she was comfortable. The procedure was completed in an hour, and I saw a smiling lady coming out of the room. I thank every single individual from the bottom of my heart for taking good care of my wife!!!! You deserve all the love and happiness that comes your way.

J

journee

My wife was admitted to the hospital for delivering our first child. The entire team which took care of her were very knowledgeable and took great care to ensure that she delivers without any hitches. This was our first visit, but we never felt like we were new here. When it was time for discharge, we got a pleasant surprise in the form of the bill…it was much lesser than what we had expected. The hospital also told us that we could get a further discount if we make the payment within a month. Now, who would not like some cash? I made the payment well within the given timeframe and got around 35% discount. I am thrilled with this wonderful hospital. I will be coming back for all my medical needs... I'm very happy to have this wonderful institution in my area!! Go HKH!!

N

Neil

I am not sure if I would ever repeat this, but Hellen Keller used to be a very good hospital; mark my words…” used to be,” but not any longer.

I am a resident of Sheffield and used to visit HKH for all my healthcare needs and so did my family. I have seen how the quality standards of the hospital have deteriorated. I had recently gone to the ER for stitching up a laceration and saw fresh blood on the ground. I can understand it if there was a huge rush of patients and the staff would not have had time to clean it. But the ER was deserted. I got my stitches and went to the billing section for making the payment.

The billing clerk told me that she could not find me on Medicaid. I told her, “Yes, and that is because I am not on Medicaid.” The clerk had assumed that I was on Medicaid. While there is no harm in being on Medicaid, it is completely wrong to assume that a person would be on Medicaid just by their appearance.

S

Sergi

I can understand that a hospital has to make profits if it wants to sustain itself and deliver quality care. However, when the hospital begins to cut corners, then one should start worrying about the treatment that they can get at the hospital.

My wife had recently delivered our first child and was bleeding a lot. She was given a bag which comprised of two large pads and around 4 or 5 smaller white pads along with two underwears to use. She used the large pad and underwear. The smaller white pads were, let say smaller for her, so we enquired if we could get a replacement for them and maybe another underwear as the ones with her were getting soiled. To my utter dismay, the staff told my wife that the hospital only allows this pack and if she wants to wear fresh underwear, then she would have to wash her underwear and air dry them while she is using the other underwear.

My wife and I just stared at the staff, unable to digest what we just heard and not able to comprehend anything. Luckily, the ordeal got over soon, and we were really happy that we got out alive from HKH. I would never take my family to this hospital again.

C

Cristina

I had undergone a shoulder surgery at Hellen Keller Hospital by Dr. Hovater who did a wonderful job. While the surgery was successful, the postoperative period was also very successful. The nurses took very good care of me and my needs. They showed a lot of compassion and even used hand sanitizers while entering my room (was one of my conditions). I have no hesitation in saying that I successfully recovered from the surgery due to the care I received at Helen Keller Hospital. Though the surgery happened some time back, I wanted to show my appreciation for the wonderful staff at HKH. THANK YOU !!!!

sukanjams

sukanjams

My mother suffers from cancer and has been visiting the hospital now and then for treatment and addressing various other minor ailments that have tagged along for many years. Each time we visit the hospital, the nurses and the staff takes good care of my mother. Thank you all for taking good care of my mother!

cubbaluege

cubbaluege

My sister had developed severe abdominal pain which later progressed into severe vomiting and loose bowels. We rushed her to HKH despite knowing the negative reviews about this hospital. I must admit that we were pleasantly surprised by the kind of treatment that my sister got. She was given professional treatment in the ER as well as when she was shifted to the floor. Thank you, Hellen Keller, for employing such a wonderful team who go above and beyond their call of duty.

edwin

edwin

I would not be lying if I said that Hellen Keller Hospital located in Sheffield is one of the best hospitals in the state of Alabama. They are very thorough and professional. They did a great job in treating my nephew who was battling cancer...I thank everyone who worked at Keller hospital during his treatment for taking good care of Lionel!!!

hushpuppy

hushpuppy

Hellen Keller has a very professional and caring unit. They are very helpful and always have a smile on their face. My family and I have been to this hospital on numerous occasions, and each time, we were treated well. We could not ask for anything more. Kudos!!!