PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Grady Memorial Hospital located in 80 JESSE HILL, JR DRIVE SE - Atlanta, GA. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
80 JESSE HILL, JR DRIVE SE
City
ATLANTA
State
GA
ZIP Code
County
FULTON
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Other
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
30 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
10%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
78 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
784 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
49%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
13%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
13.3%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
9.1%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
20.1%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Worse than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
7.8%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
15.8%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Abdominal Hysterectomy
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly less than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
braggadocio

braggadocio

Not being super negative, but Grady is definitely the worst hospital in the South. You can hear my experience and decide whether that’s an overstatement or not. I came in with a broken femur and had to wait at the waiting area for at least 15 minutes as there was some kind of issue. I was clearly in pain, yet the secretary was busy talking to her boyfriend. This was very annoying.

Then I had to be rushed to surgery. After that they had me waiting for over 2 hours before I got the medication to combat the pain. It was very uncomfortable for me to sit there after surgery, yet when I winced in pain once, the nurse asked me to “keep it down.” LITERALLY.

After a few more winces, the nurse sent the head nurse towards me. She came and asked me what my pain level was, on a scale of 1 to 10. When I said 11, she scoffed and told me not to lie. Clearly I should’ve just broken her femur and seen how she reacted, but anyway, this was where I knew that even if I were to die, I’d never go back to that freak show.

After the surgery, I was recommended to a physical therapist, who was also very rude. As a physical therapist, I expected him to understand how a person would feel after surgery, especially on the femur. Even so, he asked me to push my limits a little, so much to the point where I felt like I was going to pass out from the pain.

Then I was asked to take some medication from the nurse and I refused to because this was not discussed with me by the doctor. She was angry at me and started acting out too. In short, I became some sort of despicable person in the hospital and none of the medical staff would listen to me.

I got extremely dehydrated and asked for IV. I asked them twice and still nothing happened. I told the nurse director later on that day that no one was listening to me, and ignoring me. She listened, took some short notes and then walked away. All in all, it was the worst hospital experience I’ve EVER had. I feel Grady needs to be shut down immediately- that’s no way to treat human beings.

M

mondegreen

Grady Memorial is full of negative reviews, so I was skeptical about coming here. But my experience was the complete opposite. I was checked in as soon as I reached the hospital and saw the doctor almost immediately. It was all in all, a great experience.

S

SexySophie

As a Grady baby, I can say that it is not the best healthcare center Atlanta has to offer. When you enter, the first thing they check is how bad you need to get treated. When you get to see the doctor depends on this level of severity. In essence, if it is not a life-threatening ailment, you will be waiting for some time, sadly. I’ve also heard that some people struggling with money issues or do not have insurance may be stalled a little. Apart from this, the nurses I’d seen were not attentive at all and were very rude. If you have to go here, then good luck!

R

raconteur

It's funny how Grady has got the whole “love/hate” thing going for it; lots of people that I know have been admitted here and have been raving about the services, but then again, some of them said it just wasn’t for them. As someone who has been working in the ICU unit and ED for over 10 years, I can say that the staff in this hospital is seriously unlike any other. The level of dedication seen in the employees, especially the surgeons- is next level. It was extremely rewarding for me to have worked with these great people, wanting to make serious impacts in lives. To all the haters, before you jump to conclusions, remember that doctors will always have your best interest at heart- and insurance, money and everything else is always secondary for them.

D

Darling

Even though my sister was admitted here a few weeks ago and came back home healthy as ever, I think I have to mention to all those going there (the supporting members) that the hospital cafeteria is not the best. I’ve had a few experiences, all different, even though I went there every day for a week. The first time I had chicken soup and it wasn’t half bad. I will say this- they give really good portion sizes for the price you pay.

The cafeteria as such was not particularly neat but it’s not like there was litter flowing across the floor either. The second day, I came during noon and the cafeteria was not as crowded. It honestly gave me feels of this old food court at a student center at Georgia Tech. Such memories. Anyway, that day I found out they have Chick-Fil-A and ordered a chicken sandwich. Was good. The next day again I decided to have soup, and this time I ordered a ground beef soup and it had a hair in it.

I argued with the manager who gave me a new soup for free, even though they were pretty convinced it was my hair. Either way, there was like zero meat but it still tasted good. But then again, I didn’t expect any miracles from a hospital cafeteria. After I finished, I disposed of my tray and was walking out before I turned back and saw a roach at my foot. This was when I lost it. It’s one thing to serve underwhelming food, but to maintain hygiene like THIS at a hospital? NOT acceptable.

I told my sister and as soon as she was permitted to leave, I made her swear that she would never go back, even if it were for a small medical procedure. This is a fair warning to all you people out there, you don’t want this kind of neglect anywhere, especially when it comes to your health. Emory, Morehouse are better options.

phantasmagorical

phantasmagorical

If you have a medical emergency or an emergency trauma. By all means, go to Grady without a second thought. It has some of the best doctors in the US-no doubt. They are very timely when it comes to services and do not turn away from people who don’t have insurance. I recommended it to a few people as well

G

gracelyn

I just got out of the emergency room at Grady and it was decent. They don’t treat you any more special than the other patients in normal rooms, but they do make rounds on a more frequent basis. I had oral surgery and had to stay back a couple of days, which always gets me antsy (I generally hate being in the hospital). But Grady was a lot better than other hospitals like Emory. My mother had to be taken in a few months ago and it was absolutely filthy. Grady is better in that regard. Of course, it’s not squeaky clean or anything but there’s only so much you can expect from a hospital.

If you’re a diabetic, you know how annoying it is to get blood tests regularly, antibiotics, and other shots. It is generally a tedious procedure to endure through, especially if you are asked to stay back to “recover” from surgery. In normal circumstances, I would prefer not to, but since it was important this time, I obliged. And it wasn’t half bad. Either way, if you’re in Atlanta, I would say that the ER room in Grady Memorial is decent, they treat you well, the doctors and nurses are very caring.