PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Elkhart General Hospital located in 600 E BLVD - Elkhart, IN. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
600 E BLVD
City
ELKHART
State
IN
ZIP Code
County
ELKHART
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Government - Local
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
24 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
2%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
41 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
272 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
4.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
4.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
67%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
6%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
14.3%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
12.3%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
2%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
12.7%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
10.1%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
15.3%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
1.9%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Significantly better than the National Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly less than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly lesser than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
K

kendra742

I have been a loyal patient (both in and out) of this hospital for many years now and so have been all the members of my family. During the course of the last seven years, I have been to this hospital umpteen number of times, interacted with almost all the staff who work there. I have been to different departments, different specialties and all the floors.

People who work here are kind and courteous and know how to take good care of their patients. Never ever till now have I faced issues of any kind, be it misbehavior or lack of concern or carelessness etc. This has become my family hospital now and they ensure that I and all the members of the family are well taken care of.

B

billy

Last month, one fine evening, I suddenly got a stabbing pain in my stomach. I wondered what was causing it because I could not think of anything bad that I had eaten from outside. I took a pain killer and tried to rest but the pain went from being bad to worse.

I was taken to the ER of this hospital. I had to wait for half an hour to be seen which is the case with ER in every hospital. The doctor came in soon and my preliminary examination was done. He sensed that there was something wrong and ordered for an ultrasound to be done. The culprit was gall stones.

I was then admitted and the nurse administered some kind of medicine which would relieve me of pain. It seemed to work well although it did not take away my pain completely. The very next day, surgery was performed and the gall stones were removed. Even with the post-operative care, the nurses ensured they did their best. I was well taken care of and the staff ensured that they listen to me attentively and fulfilled all my demands. I know

I can get really moody and fussy at times and these angels dealt with all that with a smile on their face.
It was just because of the care and treatment they gave me, I healed and could walk out of the hospital faster than most patients do.

Even when I go for my review check-ups, I am given first preference by the staffs because they very well know about my condition. Trust me, things can’t go wrong in this place.

C

CoREy

I don’t know what was wrong with me that day. Despite knowing about the hospital and how badly they treat their patients, I still took my daughter there when it was an emergency. I tried explaining to them what went wrong with my child and how everything happened, but the ER doctor was so damn rude and he just shunned me off.

I felt like a piece of garbage. After all I was paying for their services; why the hell would they treat me like that. I could not take back my child and I started pleading to them that she be taken care of. But no body took me seriously. I was literally in tears and even that couldn’t move their hearts. I then had to take her and rush elsewhere. I regret that I even took her to this place filled with assholes during an emergency situation. I was very wrong to expect at least basic courtesy from all of them.

If you care for your loved ones, I insist not to take them here. Please do not make the mistake that I did in spite of knowing about the place.

whatsis

whatsis

All of the staffs of this particular hospital have some kind of mental issues. I don’t know why the hell they have so much of attitude towards the patients who are admitted and their families. After all, we are not making use of their facilities for free. We pay through our nose yet we are treated like a piece of shit.

Forget about the doctors, even the receptionist who works there, the nurses who are appointed to take care of patients have no sense of their responsibilities. Nurses are supposed to be angels on earth but the nurses here act like witches. In a place like this, things definitely do go wrong and who pays the price for it; customers like us.

Higher authorities should first arrange a session in which all their hospital staffs are first given a full fledged training on how to behave properly with the patients.

C

CALLIE

Well trained people with lack of concern

My father was admitted here because of his prostate issues and I was with him the whole time. And after spending more than a week at Elkhart General, I would say I have zero confidence in them. I dreaded moving out of the place even for basic stuff because I couldn’t trust them with my father.

But at the same time I wouldn’t be entirely honest if I don’t admit that the doctor and the nurses to who my father was assigned have good subject knowledge. But they greatly lack a quality which is a must have for everyone in their profession to deliver their duties well – empathy. They are the most irresponsible people or rather medical staff I have ever encountered.

They are competent, capable and know what to do but they simply lack compassion and concern for their patients. At times we do see one or two people like that but in this place, the entire hospital is that way. They lack the basic qualities of courtesy and humanity

W

wackadoodle

My visit to this hospital 6 months back still gives me nightmares every day. I don’t even want to think about it but I today I am taking the courage to pen down my experience so that nobody else will make the mistake of visiting that satanic place.

I developed a sharp pain in my chest and I was taken to the ER of this hospital. But they did not even take me seriously and they left me just like that in a wheelchair, fighting that pain for a very long time. I didn’t know what was happening and was scared to death but they were treating my situation so casually.

To add to all this, once I was taken to the room, the nurses who acted rude beyond mercy would not help me with anything. I had to somehow manage on my own to go to the bathroom, to complete the procedures and even take medications. Once things were done, they rudely ask me to move out of the hospital and that too on my own because somebody else required the bed I was using.

Those idiots were not concerned about my life for even a percent but when they sent the bill over to my insurance they made sure that they overcharge me so that to add to all this, even my insurance claims wouldn’t be settled.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING ME GO THROUGH ALL THAT SHIT and let me till you it is still not over because they messed up the whole thing while billing. I am still dealing with you guys!

farah

farah

I was here at Elkhart General for my second delivery. I was all calm and relaxed because I had already been through the process of delivering a baby but little did I know that they would mess up things for me like this.

I was in the seventh heaven thinking that my first delivery was a normal one and this one would me tool. But my happiness did not last too long. These idiots, the so called well trained nurses overdosed me on epidural injection and from what my husband said, they acted as if it was my body’s inability to deal with the dosage. I became unconscious because of the injection and now they had to perform a C-section.

By god’s grace, nothing went wrong while performing the procedure. But the way they treated me when I was brought back to my room was pathetic. I was already battling postpartum depression and they treated me as if I was an abnormal lady. They literally wouldn’t help me out with a thing and it was my husband who did a-z for me.

Credits to them, I am now undergoing counselling sessions. My experience there was scary and if something at all would have gone wrong with my baby, I would have taken them to task.

Manic

Manic

I do not have a personal experience of being admitted in this hospital. But on two different occasions, I had the chance to visit two of my friends who were admitted here. The front desk staff seemed to be polite and they made sure you are attended to at the earliest.

My friends too seemed to be pleased with the services they were being offered and the way they were taken care of. None of them seemed to have any issues or were complaining about the hospital.

So, from the little experience and interaction I have, I wouldn’t mind being admitted in this hospital if at all there is a requirement. But at the same time, I would be more than happy if they paid some more attention to the quality of food that is served in their cafeterias and also the maintenance of this place. There were too many creepy cobwebs hanging here and there. The place for sure needs a thorough clean up.