High Cost Carney Hospital Boston MA (Complication Rates) & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Carney Hospital located in 2100 DORCHESTER AVENUE - Boston, MA. Contains reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
2100 DORCHESTER AVENUE
City
BOSTON
State
MA
ZIP Code
County
SUFFOLK
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Proprietary
Emergency Department Volume
high
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
0%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
7 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
309 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
64%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
12%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
12.4%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
11.2%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
13.8%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
8.4%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
15.5%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
2.8%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections National Comparison
Hospital Acquired Central Line Blood Infection Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
J

Jessy

The orthopedic surgeons at Carney were just brilliant. My husband has never been so pleased with a surgery before and kudos to Dr. Sarge and his entire team for being the best.

A

abdulmalik

I give Carney an excellent rating for their state of the art surgery unit. Some of the most talented people in the country work in this hospital and for good reason. They put hardworking and smart doctors and surgeons in the best of positions where they can thrive and do the best work for patients. Not only are they super efficient but also very caring about their patients. One of them went back home 2 hours late on his daughter’s 5th birthday because my wife was scared for her surgery the following day.

They are also real gentlemen- something my wife definitely appreciated. They have the best tableside (or in this case, bedside) manners. Do not invade your personal space and more importantly are very gentle with the patients. But something I particularly appreciated was how they kept me in the loop about everything. Even if it was as basic as changing the IV drip they’d let me know so that I wouldn’t have any questions later. And funnily enough I didn’t. What a great hospital.

J

Josh Carlton

If you’ve never been here before take someone who has before you go or better yet don’t go at all! Complete scam! For a simple headache/migraine attack they had me doing a bunch of tests and I had to do all the running around for the results! NO help from the staff and they overcharge you for everything! If you’re getting them done make sure your insurance covers it at least!

V

valeria1984

I just don’t understand some hospital employees sometimes. How they get away with being such bitches to the patients is beyond me. My father is 72 years old and I had to take him to the psych ward in the geriatrics department. He was frazzled but didn’t hesitate. I’d heard from a good friend of mine that Carney was one of the best hospitals in the country so when I googled it and saw the Yelp reviews I thought maybe it wouldn’t be the worst decision ever. But I was shocked after I saw the kind of service that goes around here. This care taker who was helping an older woman into her room was on her phone the whole time.

The poor lady tried twice to get her attention to tell her that they were going in the wrong direction. I then went up to the young lady and told her that the patient she apparently was tending to was calling her. The lady threw a nasty glare my way and disappeared into the crowd. I was weirded out, no doubt. Before allowing my father to get admitted in this hospital I wanted to make sure that that kind of care takers would not be assigned to my father. When I talked to some case workers they said that they were very aprticular when hiring care takers, and that one particular care taker was a volunteer from a medical college and she was getting her community hours in or such. I wasn’t entirely sure about it and asked my father what to do. He said he would be fine and see me in a week.

I left him and checked up on him every night. He seemed to be doing okay. But the next time I saw him he told me that the treatment was not going so well. Apparently the employees in the psych ward were very rude and unseemly. They often bullied the patients and call them retarded if they didn’t listen to them. This really got on my nerves and I got my father admitted into another hospital ASAP. One thing’s for sure, if you want rhe patient’s mental health to degrade by a huge factor then maybe consider this hospital but otherwise it’s a waste of your time and money.

W

walt

The ICU team was spectacular- very timely- very professional- and above all very compassionate. Caring about the family members they will check on you as well as the patient from time to time. Loved the service.

L

lillianne

When my uncle came back from Carney he told me of all the horror stories that went on in the psych department. And the weird part is that this is one of the most popular psych departments in the state. So word of advice: don’t listen to the hospitals because they are obviously advertising. Listen to testimonials of people who’ve actually gone through the horrifying experiences.

S

shrink_Sand

Giving Carney Hospital a 0 star rating would still be a disgrace I can’t believe I ever came to this hellhole.
My teenage daughter is 12 and has been having trouble sleeping of late.
Her 7 year old dog died three weeks ago and I have a theory..
But my worst decision was not taking her dog to a farm, it was bringing her to this hospital with zero respect or compassion for patients.
I figured at least they’d be sweet to children but no. One nurse was yelling bloody murder at my child because she was walking barefoot.
Shocked does not even begin to explain my reaction.