Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital VA Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital located in 1906 BELLEVIEW AVENUE, SE - Roanoke, VA. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
1906 BELLEVIEW AVENUE, SE
City
ROANOKE
State
VA
ZIP Code
County
ROANOKE CITY
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
4%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
358 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
4.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
3.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
65%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
6%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
13%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
12%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
2.4%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
15.2%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
10%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
15.7%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
2.4%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Abdominal Hysterectomy
Hospital Acquired Central Line Blood Infection Comparison
Significantly better than the National Rate
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
Significantly less than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly lesser than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
giavana

giavana

I brought my dad in here to the ER and I found the staff to be great at their work and the facilities to be all top class. The doctors and the nurses who took care of my dad were knowledgeable and they did their job to the best of their abilities. I was quite impressed by their services and exemplary behavior towards their patients.

Thank you one and all for the top notch facilities you provided my dad with. I shall ever be grateful to you guys!

karmin

karmin

Very recently, I had brought in my mom to this hospital. The staff who were on duty at that time were too good and helped me out in every single way.

They exhibited first class behavior and gave satisfactory answers to all my questions.

But the place has its own cons too. I found the parking facility to be an absolute nightmare. I have been here more than 10 times and each time I come here, I have to keep on driving around to find a place. When I come for normal visits, its ok but when there is an emergency or if I am not feeling good, I hate doing it as I find it to be an absolute nuisance.

The food that they serve here in their cafeteria is also not up to the mark and there is a huge room for improvement. I know one does not visit a hospital based on the taste of food that they serve in their cafes yet I find it to be an integral part. I stay alone and when I visit this hospital because I am sick, I do actually look for something decent to eat as well. So, though it may not matter to others, it does bother me.

But other than these two aspects, the staff are super friendly, warm, compassionate and very good at their work. I do like it here.

K

Kim Garza

Please do not ever make the mistake of bringing your child to this hospital. The paediatric department is a mad house. I tried consulting 3-4 doctors from the paediatric department of Carilion for my daughter and all of them seemed like birds of the same feather to me, who did not know what they were doing, were unprofessional and the kids could find them to be frightful.

I have even observed one of them flirting with someone else’s husband while the wife was away. How low could a doctor go!!! Seriously!! I genuinely don’t think one should even waste their time coming here.

Muhammed7

Muhammed7

My sister underwent a minor procedure at Carilion Roanoke and every single soul who attended to her was wonderful. From the pre-op nurses to the orderlies, people treated my sissypoo like a queen and I was more than happy and relieved to see that.

I would definitely recommend this hospital because people who work here are empathetic towards their patients, helpful at all times, talented in their skills and professional in their attitude. Everyone here is remarkable and my sister and I had a very pleasant and comfortable experience here.

A

aylen

Roanoke Memorial is definitely not meant for the military personnel or people who make use of tricare in general. I do not say this based just on my single experience but many friends and acquaintances of mine who belonged to the same category and tried to make use of their facilities faced the same issues.

They exhibit a hell lot of inertia responding to calls and requests related to military or tricare and mostly they do not allow you to make use of such privileges at all. It is definitely not a military or tricare friendly hospital and they just do not let their patients use such facilities at any cost.

In spite of knowing that their patients are entitled to such facilities, they send the bills right on to the collections, which in my opinion is a real unfair thing to do. So, if you fall in this category, kindly refrain from coming to this hospital as they can very well deprive you of tricare facilities.

Emalie

Emalie

I had the worst experience of my life in the emergency department of Carilion Roanoke hospital. The nurse who took my triage was fine but once her part was over, she left me all alone and did not turn up for another 3-4 hours. When she turned up, I could see from her expressions that she had completely forgotten about me and it was then that she called for a doctor.

The doctor took his own sweet time to come and see me and when he came, I felt he shouldn’t have because he was being very rude and mean to me.

He almost yelled at me and I certainly felt bad about it.
The worst was yet to come in the form of billing and mind you, they are cheats of the first order and try to bill you as much as they can even for the most trivial of the services.

I definitely did not like it here and most certainly will not make my way back in here.

S

sultan

My sister had a heart attack and she was admitted here for almost a month. I would go to meet once every 2-3 days and I found that the nurses took very good care of her. They were definitely doing a good job taking care of her and were very kind and attentive to her needs.
But I am highly disappointed with the cleanliness part of the hospital. Firstly, I never saw anybody come to clean up her room when I visited. When I asked my sista about the same, she said they would only come once in a week.

Secondly, I was deeply disheartened to see the filthy condition of the restrooms. Every time I went in there to use, there would be a dirty pile of used paper napkins and tissues and what not and nobody bothers to even clean them up despite the foul smell they give out.

I tried speaking to the management regarding their cleanliness and I honestly thought I would see some improvement on my next visit but the lady who I spoke to was not of any help as well.

The doctors and the nurses are good and so are the facilities but a lot needs to be done to improve the hygiene of the place.

R

Riggs

The hospital, the facilities, the doctors, the nurses and the medical staff are definitely good and efficient in their work but the cafeteria guy totally puts me off. There is this chubby guy with sort of curly hair who works there and he is someone I definitely do not want to interact with.

But I am forced to do so because I need a nice cup of coffee and I have to go there to get it. Definitely not impressed with the cafeteria guys and despise even meeting this coffee making guy!! But I have to because I am left with no other choice.

The management needs to take him off and find a replacement because this guy is too rude to his customers and he does not mind putting down his co-workers to show off in front of the customers. His attitude is definitely not professional and personally, I hate seeing his face.