Can you get pregnant on the rod

kezza

kezza

Ladies, help me out.

I had got Nexplanon implanted around four months back and had regular periods for two months. However, for the past two months, I have been having irregular periods and I have not had my last period. Now I am worried if I am pregnant. I had loads of sex with my husband, often unprotected, as I was under the impression that the rod would help me against any unwanted pregnancies.

Any ideas….

manny

manny

Dear @kezza

Relax. You are 99.9% protected from any unwanted pregnancy with the rod. It is very effective. The stoppage of your periods is a side effect of Nexplanon. How quickly the period stops differs from woman to woman. Some women might have a complete stoppage of their periods for maybe a year or two while others might have mixed spotting and irregular periods. The device releases the hormone very slowly, but generally around the two-year mark, the periods start becoming normal since the hormone level starts tapering off. It would still protect you from any unwanted pregnancies, but the uterine lining starts shedding again. All I would say is enjoy having no periods!

I would suggest to have protected sex because, during the initial stages of the implant, the chances of contracting STD’s are higher. Condoms are not required for contraception, for that, the implant is there.

So long story short-Do Not Worry! You are fine!

S

Special

As @manny said, do not worry. This is a common side effect of Nexplanon. This is my second year on it and is my second round. Your periods would start becoming normal over a period of time. If it would give any solace to you, then I did not have periods for the first eight months on Nexplanon after which it was irregular and only around the 18th month did it become normal.

Adelynn

Adelynn

The chances of getting pregnant while on the contraceptive implant are less than 1%, provided the implant was implanted less than three years ago. In other words, for every 100 women having sex with implants on, there is a likelihood of less than one lady getting pregnant. Hope this answer would have eased your worries.

A

Amalia

@kezza,

the answer to your question is NOPES!! NADA!! NO

Nexplanonis a birth control tool so chances of getting pregnant while on it are very remote. The use of the birth control device like Nexplanon is to fool the body into thinking that it is pregnant. You might have normal periods for maybe three to four months after which it might disappear or become irregular. It solely depends on how your body would react to the birth control device. Some might experience pregnancy symptoms while the device is being implanted. It just means that the device is working. The implant tricks your body into believing that you are already pregnant, so the chances of you actually getting pregnant would be very minimal or shall I say zero.

katelyn823

katelyn823

Well yes, one can become pregnant while being on the implant. I had the device implanted and went on to have some fun and ended up getting pregnant. It happens to less than 1% and unfortunately, I was the one.

Only advice to you – Take every precaution while having fun because one does not what would happen next.....

Plucked

Plucked

Hi @kezza,

I know my answer is a bit late, but it would be relevant for the rest of the implant period. I would like to give a very technical answer to your query. Do not worry, it is simple English.

Implanon is a birth control implant which is available as Nexplanon in the market. After abstinence, this birth control implant is the best protection against any unwanted pregnancies. According to the company and various studies, only five out of every 10,000 women who have the device implanted are likely to get pregnant in a year and this device works for a minimum of three years!

Nexplanon works by secreting progestin (a hormone) into your body. Progestin helps in preventing pregnancy by inhibiting ovaries from ovulating. One cannot get pregnant if there is no egg to cling on to the sperms. Moreover, progestin also helps in thickening the cervical mucus which further blocks the entry of sperm.

A common complaint by women who have the device implanted in is the fewer and lighter periods. Common thinking among women is that if you miss periods or do not have a regular period, then they are pregnant. Well, it is wrong thinking. It is the common side-effect of Nexplanon.

If one feels that they can still get pregnant, then I would suggest using an extra layer of protection.

G

grady

I was on Nexplanon for nearly two years. When I had it implanted I was in the initial stages of a relationship, so you know there was no dearth of sex, and a lot of it was unprotected. But luckily I did not get pregnant.

My only advice to you is to make sure that you do not put up weight. Hope your doctors might have told this to you. If not, then I am telling you – watch your weight. I was a foodaholic and could eat a lot without gaining weight that is until I got the implant. After being on the implant for nearly two years, I gained around 150lbs. I got the device removed and that coupled with a good diet, has helped me to reduce around 80lbs. Try avoiding meat, sweets, carbonated beverages and anything that has lots of oil in it.

If you have gained weight on the Nexplanon, then do not worry, the weight can come down with a strict diet. In case you have still not gained weight, then you can be extra careful to avoid gaining weight.

Hope it was useful. Stop worrying and have fun.