Callahan Eye Hospital (Birmingham, AL) Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Callahan Eye Hospital located in 1720 UNIVERSITY BLVD - Birmingham, AL. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
1720 UNIVERSITY BLVD
City
BIRMINGHAM
State
AL
ZIP Code
County
JEFFERSON
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
low
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
40 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
0%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
Not Available
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
154 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
Not Available
Doctor Communication Star Rating
Not Available
Nurse Communication Star Rating
Not Available
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
89%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
4%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
Not Available
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Not Available
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Not Available
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Not Available
ws236285

ws236285

I had gone to UAB Callahan Eye Hospital for superficial keratectomy. I had an amazing experience at the hospital right from the moment I walked in through the door till the time I got into my car after the procedure. When they came to know that my husband was not in town, they called up my daughter and ensured that she was kept in the loop of whatever was happening and made sure she was there when I was being discharged. The staff was accommodating and thoroughly professional. Definitely the best experience.

C

Carona

Whenever I have an appointment with any doctor, I confirm my appointment with the doctor’s staff, just to ensure that I do not get late for the same.

I did the same with this appointment. I was asked to come by 10:30. I ran a few errands and came around 10:15 and checked with the staff, who said that the doctor might be there any moment. When the doctor did not turn up even after 11:00, I checked with the staff again, who told he was in an emergency and would see me soon. The wait continued, and finally, when I did not see the doctor even by 1:00, I got pissed off and asked the staff whether he is going to come or not. They, very sheepishly, told me that the doctor had gone out for lunch and it would take some time before he comes back. I was like, “Why the fuck did you ass*&^es not tell me about it.”

I canceled my appointment, and when asked about rescheduling, I gave the best answer that I could muster at that time, “Never ever.”

Gibi

Gibi

Terrible.

That is the best word I can come up about my experience at the UAB Callahan Eye Hospital. Do not see a dickhead called Dr. Sayni or Siani or something like that. He was constantly cursing my wife who was unable to sit still due to unbearable pain. This dickhead was even banging things in frustration. I got very alarmed by this behavior, and when I went and reported it to the hospital management, they coolly said they will check and get back to me.

That was it, and we decided to leave AMA. I felt bad for the nurses who were apologizing for the rude behavior of that shithead. This is a very terrible facility filled with temperamental doctors and management which is only concerned about green bucks. I would recommend people to visit some other place for their ophthalmologic needs.

B

beatrice905

Some of the best doctors! I had to wait only 10 minutes for my appointment! Exams and diagnosis are private issues. Insurance is accepted. Most importantly, there is ample parking space. Friendly employees, and clean hospital.

T

tingle

Last year, I was diagnosed as having keratoconus in my right eye. For the uninitiated, keratoconus is a condition where the cornea bulges outward which results in decreased or complete loss of vision in the eye. I had decreased vision. I visited UAB Callahan hospital seeking treatment for this issue. The team was super efficient and gave me the following option. They suggested that I wear special lenses which would help me see better and once I am comfortable we can go ahead with cornea cross-linking which was recently approved by the FDA.

I agreed to the same and have been fitted with special lenses which have restored vision in my right eye. Can’t wait for the procedure to permanently address this issue — a big shout out to UAB Callahan Hospital for everything.

braylee

braylee

Whether you are visiting the Emergency Room or getting a scheduled surgery or even getting an appointment for a minor ailment, UAB Callahan Hospital is a place for anything related to the eye. We have been visiting this hospital for many years now, and every time the staff is very courteous and thoroughly professional. The best thing is the fact that the doctor’s offices are located within the complex, which makes it convenient to make the visits.

I

igloo

My experience at the UAB Callahan Hospital was a mixed bag. The doctor was great and very professional and explained everything very clearly. The staff was kind and very polite. The hospital premise itself was very clean. The only issue was the waiting time in the ER. I had to spend around five hours in the ER waiting for the doctor to arrive. This was on a Wednesday, and there were only two other individuals in the ER. The waiting time needs to be cut into half.