PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for California Hospital Medical Center located in 1401 SOUTH GRAND AVENUE - Los Angeles, CA. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
1401 SOUTH GRAND AVENUE
City
LOS ANGELES
State
CA
ZIP Code
County
LOS ANGELES
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Other
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
8 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
2%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
7 minutes
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
25 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
294 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
3.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
55%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
10%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
12.3%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
9.4%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
13.9%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
7.6%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
13.9%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Abdominal Hysterectomy
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
B

bernard53

The best doctor at this practice is definitely Dr. Pickett- I don’t know what I like more about him, his professionalism, or his brilliant tact to fight away awkward conversations.

I’d been dating my girlfriend for less than 4 months before she got pregnant with our baby. I was so close to leaving the scene because the whole thing freaked me out. And to be honest, if it weren’t for Dr. Pickett, I probably would be elsewhere now. So I owe it to him, for making me stand up and take responsibility for what I started.

Even though the whole procedure started out scary, I ended up loving it. All the Lamaze classes, the appointments, talking to Dr. Pickett… it all felt like it was falling into place. My (now) fiancé has so many nice things to say about this amazing OB, and the entire staff at this medical practice are AMAZING.

As I held my new born baby girl, I knew that I will always love her dearly, and if it weren’t for Dr. Pickett, she would be fatherless today. Owe him my life! And he also takes really good care of the patients, my wife had everything she needed during her delivery, including an AMAZING suite. Nice.

jimmymaxewell

jimmymaxewell

I am fortunate enough to say that the 28 years of my life have been hospital-ridden. I am fairly healthy and my immune system is scary good. But yeah, I guess I jinxed my fortune because I remember I had to get admitted to the ER at this hospital after a horrible fall from a flight of stairs one fine day at work. I chose this place because it was close to work and I HATED IT. They were all so rude, and blamed me for my “carelessness”. Nurses walk by you with no sympathy. Doctors scoff at you. RUDE people.

unityhealingarts

unityhealingarts

Anyone who’s had kidney stones knows how scary it is to have ‘em. I remember first walking in to the ER at Cali Medical and thinking I was going to pass out from the pain. People talk about labor being the worst kind of pain ever experienced by the human body, right? I beg to differ- given birth to three children already, I think I would know. Sometimes it depends on the size and number of kidney stones was what my doctor told me. But anyway, I was crying from beginning to end and the worst part was them asking me to give them a urine sample. It was the most painful minute of my life.

I think, at that time, having people around you who give you words of guidance and motivation is essential. And that’s just what I got from the staff at Cali Medical. I remember a nurse coming up to me, Mrs. Garcia, who gave me tips on how to pass urine without it hurting too much. She then ensured to come back to my room and check up on me a couple of times before she left, even though her shift had ended an hour ago. These people are true Godsends I feel, they do such a great job in letting people know that they are going to be okay at the end of the day.

Just want to say thank you to the amazing team of doctors who helped me pass through this terrible time in my life. Even though the Emergency room is pretty crowded and you may have to wait hours before your turn, it’s worth it. As long as you’re getting the kind of medical attention that you require, at the end of the day, that’s really all that matters. Thank you, doctor Helena (or something like that, I didn’t get your name) for your compassion and sympathy towards my pain and for coming up with an awesome game plan to beat the stones.

A

AlexSilva121

It’s pretty cool how most people can only talk about delivering babies here, but it’s so true. I for one can relate to @Bernard 53 because I too, was a first time father and seriously freaking out. But you can’t tell that to your wife who is going through a lot herself. We had this amazing midwife, Eva, who not only helped my wife, but me, to deal with the new feelings I was having. It felt a bit like a therapy session, but it was so worth it. Would recommend it to all fathers who are having anxiety about being fathers.

T

tlumsden

Okay, this is so cute, I was just going to write a long, cheesy post about how I’d given birth recently at the L&D unit of Dignity Health at California Medical. But then I realized my husband (Bernard) already wrote a post about this, so I’ll keep it short.

The only thing he couldn’t tell you is how I felt as the person giving birth. I was nervous about having a birth without any epidural- because this was something my mom wanted me to do. Apparently, it’s a family tradition, and they wanted to keep it that way. When I talked to Dr. Pickett about this, he said I would be fine without it.

Of course, after the first couple of contractions, I changed my mind. I started screaming bloody murder and demanded an epidural, but the nurses lied to me and said that I was way too far along to take an epidural now. They admitted to their crime later on though, and I obviously forgave them. In a way, I’m so happy they didn’t just succumb to my moment of weakness, because it truly was the most magical moment of my life, despite the pain.