Brookdale Hospital Medical Center (Brooklyn, NY) Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Brookdale Hospital Medical Center located in 1 BROOKDALE PLAZA - Brooklyn, NY. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
1 BROOKDALE PLAZA
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
ZIP Code
County
KINGS
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
very high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
59 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
4%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
Not Available
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
74 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
663 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
1.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
46%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
21%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
14.7%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
11.9%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
Not Available
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Not Available
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
13.2%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
9.3%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
17%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
Not Available
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Not Available
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Number of Cases Too Small
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
P

Phoebe

The medical staff at the ER are so very kind, I was flabbergasted by the service here. It doesn’t matter that they have to tend to patients day in and day out, the smiles on their faces never seem to fade. Love how dedicated everyone is in the ER and recommend them with zero hesitation. Hopefully I won’t have to come back here, but if I had to, I wouldn’t be concerned.

Devendra patel

Devendra patel

The weird part about this hospital is that it has a round robin scheme- you never really see the same doctor again. I came in through ambulance to the ER last week due to a pretty serious fall I’d taken from a flight of stairs and had a few places with broken skin. Even though Brookdale was the closest trauma center, I was skeptical about it, because my mother had told me the nurses here were rather rude. Anyway, the EMT took me there, so I didn’t complain. As soon as I got in, a lot of people gave me weird stares because my broken skin was visible to them and obviously, it’s not a sight that brings a lot of smiles.

The ER nurses took a look at me and smiled sympathetically. However, it seemed like my case could wait because they asked me to wait for a bit. No big deal, just a couple of open scars, but yeah, allow me to wait out in the open. Anyway, after about an hour, I was wheeled inside and they stitched me up. It was pretty painful but they were very sympathetic throughout the whole thing so I didn’t mind as much. Plus I have a pretty high threshold for pain. The follow ups were rather weird, like I said, I never saw the doc that stitched me up and each of them had different things to say about my recovery. So I guess this is a bit of a mixed review, innit?

S

Sandramc

My mother in law required a hysterectomy urgently and the first hospital that popped into my mind was Brookdale. I don’t have much experience with hospitals to begin with, but I knew this hospital had a decent set of doctors there. What can I say, from beginning to end, everyone was extremely accommodating and very sweet. The doctor who took care of my mother in law was literally the most down to earth person I’d ever met. The nursing staff was brilliant- they knew exactly what they were doing and knew the answers to all my questions. I can’t help but recommend Dr. Larsen to everyone because she’s the best of the best- forever indebted to you for your amazing service.

deewanna

deewanna

Growing up on this side of Brooklyn, I remember how much I used to come to Brookdale to visit my sick father when I was 10. It used to be a very nice, clean place with friendly doctors and smiling nurses. Then of course, I grew up and moved to Florida, but after 20 years I returned to meet my father who was admitted in Brookdale again and it was a blast from my past… or not. Because I barely even recognized it. Even though it looked exactly the same from the outside, the inside was God awful. It was almost like it was rotting from the inside. I didn’t even get to my father’s room before deciding that I needed to get him out of here.

I remember seeing my father and thinking, this is the filthiest room I’d ever seen. When I asked my father why he came back to this place, he said there was only one doctor he’d ever trust his life with, the doctor who helped him during his chemo days, so I didn’t say anything. But it was really filthy, no lies. Not just that, there is like literally zero security for patients here. The second day I came to visit, I just walked in and there was no need to sign anything at the reception, or anything. No one stopped to ask me who I was, I could’ve just walked in, gotten into the elevator and traveled wherever I wanted. What kind of a hospital was this?

An absolute ghost town. Oh no wait, that would imply that there was no one there- it’s more like a zombie land. Pretty sure there are way too many sick patients and overworked, understaffed group of doctors who have given up on life, including Dr. Rayne. I made the mistake of using the toilet before leaving and my heart fell out of my mouth. I’d never witnessed anything so unsanitary, I could feel my eyes water up out of disgust. There was dried up blood and urine on the toilet seat alone (that I could see, at least). Lord only knows what else was on it. Oh, yeah- raw toilet paper bits here and there- some of them wet. I will always have a soft corner towards Brookdale for taking care of dad when we were younger, but this is just unacceptable.

Perch

Perch

Over the years, Brookdale has shown some real progress. I remember what the service over here was like 5 years ago when I needed an urgent kidney stone removal. Now, things are so much better, the place is cleaner, it has more staff, and even the urgent care center looks good. 5 years ago I thought this hospital had no hopes of looking any better, but clearly I was wrong. The staff is very compassionate and understanding. Best in community.

shanto

shanto

If you have serious medical conditions like heart trouble, brain surgeries or spine injuries, stay away from Brookdale (don’t say I didn’t warn you). Now if you have a severed toe or a broken arm, then maybe consider Brookdale. To call this place a “Hospital” would be a massive joke, only because the staff has no idea what they’re doing, doctors are also incompetent and have so much head weight, I wonder how they wake up every morning.

Don’t even get me started on the hospital food, it takes like dog food (trust me, I know- I’ve tasted it before by accident). Only this time, it wasn’t an accident and I think the doctors should be forced to swallow down this crap. It’s the most inhumane hospital you’ll find in Brooklyn, seriously, if you value your life even a little bit , don’t come back here.