Top Pulmonary Hospital High Cost Allegheny General Hospital (Pittsburgh, PA) Complication Rates & Reviews

PC Admin

PC Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated resource for Allegheny General Hospital located in 320 EAST NORTH AVENUE - Pittsburgh, PA. Containing reports of complications, death rates etc. Reviews and real experiences of patients and their loved ones are invited. The treatment and medical care statistics listed below are updated and synced twice a year as per the 'Medicare Database' via an API.

Provider ID
Address
320 EAST NORTH AVENUE
City
PITTSBURGH
State
PA
ZIP Code
County
ALLEGHENY
Phone Number
Hospital Type
Acute Care Hospitals
Hospital Ownership
Voluntary non-profit - Private
Emergency Department Volume
high
Avg time patients spent in emergency dept before seen by a Medical Professional
14 minutes
Patients who left the emergency department before being seen (%)
0%
Median Time to ECG for heart attack/chest pain in Emergency dept
6 minutes
Median time to Pain Med in Emergency Dept
78 minutes
Avg time patients spent in Emergency dept before inpatient admission
292 minutes
Overall Hospital Rating
2.00 star(s)
Cleanliness Star Rating
1.00 star(s)
Doctor Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Nurse Communication Star Rating
2.00 star(s)
Patients who reported that they ALWAYS received help as soon as they wanted (%)
51%
Patients who were unhappy with treatment
14%
Avg Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients (%)
15%
Death Rate For Heart Attack Patients National Comparison
No Different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients (%)
11.3%
Death Rate For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
No different than the National Rate
Avg Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients (%)
2.8%
Death Rate For CABG Surgery Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Stroke Patients (%)
17.1%
Death Rate For Stroke Patients Comparison
Avg Death Rate For COPD Patients (%)
7%
Death Rate For COPD Patients National Comparison
Avg Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients (%)
16.9%
Death Rate For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Avg Complication Rate For Hip/Knee Replacement Patients (%)
2.5%
Complication Rate for Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate Per 1000 Persons
Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate National Comparison
Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury Requiring Dialysis National Comparison
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Serious Blood Clots After Surgery National Comparison
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery Per 1000 Persons
Blood Stream Infection After Surgery National Comparison
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis Per 1000 Persons
Split Wound After Surgery on The Abdomen or Pelvis National Comparison
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Accidental Cuts and Tears From Medical Treatment National Comparison
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Per 1000 Persons
Bedsores or Pressure Ulcers Rate National Comparison
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Per 1000 persons
Deaths Among Patients With Serious Treatable Complications After Surgery Comparison
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment Per 1000 Persons
Collapsed Lung Due To Medical Treatment National Comparison
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate Per 1000 Persons
Perioperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate National Comparison
Surgical Site Infections With Colon Surgery National Comparison
Rate of Unplanned Hospital Visits After Colonoscopy National Comparison
Heart Attack 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Heart Failure 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Comparison
Rate of Readmission For Stroke Patients National Comparison
Pneumonia 30-Day Readmission Rate National Comparison
Rate of Readmission After Hip/Knee Replacement National Comparison
Overall Unplanned Readmission Rate
Significantly worse than the National Rate
Average Cost For Heart Attack Patients Comparison
No Different than the National Average
Average Cost For Heart Failure Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Average Cost For Hip/Knee Replacement Comparison
Significantly lesser than the National Average
Average Cost For Pneumonia Patients Comparison
Significantly greater than the National Average
Katherine

Katherine

Everyone was super warm and nice. Had to have surgery and when I woke up it felt like I was in crazy town. Realized much later that it was some sort of a disaster drill. T'was pretty entertaining but for someone who just got up from a pretty long nap, it was scary. There were many people who were dressed up as “disaster patients” so they looked pretty horrid. And then they were roaming about in the hospital, so it sort of reminded me of zombie. One of them even walked up to my room door and stared at me through the glass. Will give me nightmares for the rest of my life but that’s when I figured out it was fake.

R

Roamer

Are you epileptic? Then do NOT choose Allegheny. I have no idea how someone has such disregard for an epileptic, especially for someone who has constant seizures. It is the most horrid Emergency Room (ER) I have seen in my life. And to think that I’ve been rushed here twice for them. Never again I swore to myself.

Not just that but I feel that the physicians in the ER are pretty clueless. It’s like they just stare at the patients and go, “shoot, what do we do about this now?” you’ve never seen an epileptic before? I have always hated people taking pity on me for my condition and this was just unbearable. I would much rather go see my personal physician than come here.

Oh, and you want to know how they try to make your seizures stop? They literally perform CPR on you. Or whatever it was that that crazy doctor was doing. He literally pressed down on my chest like I couldn’t breath or something. How do these people have medical degrees? Aren’t doctors supposed to be smart? And this guy was NOT a student doctor or anything. Just baffled.

MadDoctor

MadDoctor

Just moved here from Philadelphia and work in the ER unit. Must say that this practice has a great group of competent doctors, surgeons, and nurses. All are very efficient in their work and they don’t waste their time. When work is done they go back home unlike my previous practice where everyone indulged in hospital gossip. I think I’ll really like it here.

Jamina

Jamina

I was surprised to see the alarmingly low ratings for Allegheny Hospital! One thing I just can’t seem to understand is how people expect five star hotel treatment at a hospital. Healthcare institutions are driven based on the money brought in from patients, it’s a business after all. What do you mean when you call them “money driven”? In today’s day and age, who isn’t?

I had to be rushed into the ER last week and the EMT took me to Allegheny. I’d heard a lot of backlash for this hospital in the past even though I’d never been and kind of blindly believed it. But when I got herenot one person was rude to me. I’d read a lot of comments claiming that the staff was very rude. But everyone from the gift lady to the anesthesiologist- everyone was sweet with smiles on their face. It calmed me down a lot.
One thing that freaks me out is an injection needle.

So I was really nervous about the IV. However the nurse student who was in charge of mine did it rather effortlessly. He distracted me by asking a question about my origin and I couldn’t get over how smoothly it went over. I commended him after my medical procedure and said he would become a great nurse. His name is Gary.

Lucretia

Lucretia

Customer service is GOD AWFUL. Called up the billing department two days after leaving the hospital as an inpatient and after receiving the craziest hospital bill ever. Was freaking out about it and wanted some guidance. They were SO RUDE. I can’t even. Basically told me to suck it up and hung up. What kind of un-professionalism is this? Going to lodge a formal complaint tomorrow.

K

knowitall

My father was an outpatient at Allegheny for 3 days And then kept under observation. He was a little nervous when they told him he needed to have surgery done so my sister and I rushed to Pittsburgh. As soon as we entered we had zero trouble finding my dad’s room there are signs for everything and besides the staff are very nice. We had some trouble with our parking but everything got cleared up with the drop of a hat.

One thing I will complain about is the waiting time. It’s crazy I don’t understand how patients are expected to wait for 6-7 hours before seeing the doctor. Aren’t ERs designed specifically for “emergencies”? The craziest thing. The surgery happened in a couple of hours and my nervous dad came out healthy and happy. He also said that the staff made it a lot easier for him so kudos to y’all (didn’t catch your names). Good team of surgeons and nurses here.

Natalie

Natalie

Can’t help but holler at my homeboys and girls on the 9th floor- all the nurses, doctors, surgeons… Love you guys. I was seven days into my possibly life threatening ailment and really thought I was going to die in this hospital. But I’ve never seen a more supportive gang who made sure I didn’t have an ounce of negativity come my way.

I became good friends with a young surgeon doc who played games with me. Another nurse stayed up at night to talk some optimism into my thick skull (and it worked). Basically all you need is some magic from this great team of medical staff. They literally do anything for their patients’ sake.